We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay in October

Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Boothbay in October

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maine this fall, in early October. We've recently retired after teaching for 30 years and this will be our vacation at this time of year. We're wondering what to expect in terms of weather this time of year on the coast of Maine. Also, would love to hear any suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc. Thanks.

LJR
Saco, Maine
Level Contributor
344 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay in October

Crisp Fall air. Will need light jacket and/or sweater. Some days you could get away with shorts or capris but at night long pants. Always bring rain gear as well. It is a beautiful time in Maine with the fall foliage. Route 1 up and down the coast is a great route to travel with side trips along the way.

Enjoy!!

Boston, MA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay in October

One of the best times of year to travel in Maine! The weather is perfectly crisp, the crowds are minimal, and the foliage beautiful! (check www.mainefoliage.com when it gets closer to your travel dates to see where the peak is for a nice daytrip if it isn't peaking in BBH)

The Annual Fall Foliage Festival will be held the 6-7th which has interesting crafts, food and music! The Coastal Maine Botanical Garden is great anytime of year. A sail on the Eastwind is a must. Drive to Ocean Point and a day trip to Monhegan Island will take you back in time!

I think you will find the reviews from Tripadvisor members on all of the lodging facilities to be pretty much right on. So review them and see what fits your needs and style.

Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay in October

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say, especially since I've never been to Maine.

We've (I mean I have, my husband just goes along for the ride) been looking at lodging and have almost decided to stay at Bayside Inn's Cottage, which is right on the water. See site below:

mysite.verizon.net/baysideinn/cottage.htm

The owner's are offering a nice discount since it's the end of the season and we plan on staying for two weeks. If anyone has stayed in the cottage, I'd love to hear your comments about it real soon. I'll probably be booking within the next couple of days.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay in October

Hi offtask,

Boothbay Harbor in early October should be beautiful. In fact I think September and October are the best times of year to visit :).

Sounds like you've found a good place to stay, so I won't list any recommendations.

Things to do and see in the area. First and foremost, check out www.boothbayharbor.com, the Chamber's site. They'll have everything you'd ever want to know about the area and then some!

Then check some of my past postings as well as others, by clicking on my screen name. I've written alot about scenic drives, restaurant recomendations, activities, and places to go.

However, one place I haven't mentioned much that is definitely worth visiting is the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. They recently opened a new visitor's center and cafe which is delightful. There's also revolving art shows and outdoor sculptures. This is a world class venue and I promise you won't be disappointed!

If you read past posts and still have questions, post again and I'll help in any way I can.

Good luck with the trip and don't forget to post back and let everyone know how it went :).

cozyharbor

5. Re: Boothbay in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 00:19