We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flea markets

wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
flea markets

going to Boothbay Harbor in Oct. Are there any good flea markets around to brose through. Looking for a lighthouse lamp but not real expensive.

Maine
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flea markets

Hi Lady Luck ... I don't know about a lighthouse lamp. To be honest you more likely to find that in a "tourist shop" - although Reny's has some cool ones right now. As far as flea markets go - there are plenty up and down Rte 1 especially north of BBH but my guests absolute, hands-down favourite is Montsweag Flea Market. The Roadhouse next door usually had pretty good grub too.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flea markets

Hi ladyluck...

As another poster mentioned there is a flea market on route 1 which I believe is held every Wed and Sat during season. I've never been, so don't have a clue as to what is offered.

However, you won't find a shortage of places to hunt down a lighthouse lamp. Again, as another poster suggested, you might find one in Reny's on Main St. in Damariscotta.

There's the Lighthouse Depot in Rockland, Maine which has everything you could ever possibly want having to do with lighthouses. They have a website www.lighthousedepot.com where they offer items for sale online even.

If you're looking for something sort of antique-y (is that a word?), you might want to check out Avalon Antiques right on route 1 in Wiscasset. They are a very large antique co-op with 3 floors of neat stuff. You might find something there.

Good luck !

cozyharbor

Boston
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flea markets

Not sure what happen up here in the Midcoast area but it appears that flea markets are a dying breed. Over the years they seem to be every mile up the coast. Went out last weekend (Edgecomb to Rockland) and only found two???? what happen?? I would suggest that you look on Rt 1 just outside of Portland up to Brunswick, after that the only one that is ah, okay is the one that everyone mention which is just after Bath (on rt 1)about 2 miles up on the left. note, most of the flea marketers set up early and leave by noon.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: flea markets

Good suggestions above.

The flea market mentioned is the Montsweag Flea Market. It's on Route 1 on the border of Woolwich and Wiscasset. Wednesday is supposed to be antique dealer day. Saturday and Sunday are more general flea market days. Good advice to get there early because even though it's supposed to go until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, the dealers pack up and leave as soon as they've sold whatever they consider to be enough for the day.

The Montsweag Roadhouse is definitely a good place for lunch.

5. Re: flea markets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 14:23