We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

I will be at Boothbay Harbor in mid July. I am thinking of taking my son to one of the whale watching boats (I assume there are whale watching boats at or near Boothbay Harbor). Which whale watching boat would you recommend? Is July a good time to see the whale, or whales? Or should I do it when I get to Boston (which may be more expensive, I presume)?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

I'm not an expert but I didn't want this to get buried w/o a response.

I do know that whale watching is a popular activity in BBH in the Summer. Two reputable tour co.s I'm aware of are Boothbay Whale Watch and Cap'n Fish Cruises.

www.whaleme.com

www.mainewhales.com

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

HDinCentralMaine:

Thanks for the info and websites.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

We're driving up from Florida next week and spending 2 weeks in Maine. We are planning on going on a whale watching trip with Captain Fishs'. I'll let you know how it goes!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

TiffLane:

Thanks! I will love to hear about your experience with Cap'n Fish whale cruise because I most likely will take the same cruise when we go in mid July. The person I talked to on the phone at Cap'n Fish told me that they are located at Pier #1 at Boothbay Harbor. He also told me that it would be a good idea to bring a jacket just in case it gets cold out in the sea. I think it is advisable for you to bring a jacket and of course a camera. Have a good and safe trip! Will you be staying at a hotel in Boothbay Harbor? We will be staying at Rocktide Inn. Any input from you, after your trip, about restaurants around Boothbay Harbor will also be appreciated.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

We leave on Monday, and are planning on taking the cruise sometime over the weekend. We aren't staying at any hotels in the area. My boyfriend has family that lives in Lewiston, so we are just making a day trip out there.

I will definatly let you know all about it! My boyfriend is already excited about going to a popcorn shop that has tons of flavors and he also remembers a great taffy place he wants to bring me to. I have my cameras and binoculars all set and ready to go. We have our cooler weather gear packed as well.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

We had a great time, but we didn't end up with Capt'n' Fishs'. My 2 biggest suggestions are don't go on a Monday and be sure to call ahead! We showed up last Monday and almost all the shops and food places were closed. Im not sure if its cuz its still early in the summer or not. Also, according to Capt'n' Fishs' website, they opperate daily at 11:30 besides Sunday which the boat leaves at 12:30.

We showed up (after almost a 2 hour drive) to find that there would be no tours that day and to have almost everything closed. I do take credit for not calling, but oh well. We drove back down on Thursday, arriving around 10:30, but the board out front of Capt'n' Fishs' said the tour left at 9:30 that day! I was about to give up, but we tried Boothbay Whale Watch, located at Pier 6 and had the best time!

We saw multiple finback whales, 2 humpbacks, countless seals, and tons of birds. They have a decent galley (snack bar) and plenty of blankets. It was chilly for sure! They do a great job with information and seemed to respect the whales. They said that the whales we saw were traveling versus feeding. Usually they try to find them feeding because you can get closer. But I thought it was incrediable how close we got and got tons of great pictures!

Hope you and your son have a great trip!

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

Hi Oldjayhawk,

Looks like you got some great, first hand knowledge and response re: whale watching from TiffLane. I haven't taken a whale watching cruise in eons, so its great that someone who has recently been there, done that replied to your request!

Meanwhile, if you're looking for a place to stay in BBH, try www.boothbayharbor.com, the Chamber's/Visitor's website. They'll have everything you could ever want to know about the area, along with links. Good luck!

cozyharbor

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

Hi TiffLane,

Sorry so much was closed on a Monday! This is often the case during the earlier part of the tourist season. Not everything is open 7 days a week and/or businesses aren't going full speed ahead yet.

The true start of the summer season in BBH kicks off with the Windjammer Days/Festival usually held the 3rd week of June. Then just about every business is open 7 days a week and its full speed ahead through September or October!

Glad you had a good time and saw lots of whale on your cruise!

cozyharbor

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

Hi Tifflane:

Thanks for your report. I am sorry that you had to drive to Boothbay Harbor twice. Was the boat of Boothbay Whale Watch crowded? Did they leave at 11:30 am as advertized on their website? I am surprised that the boat at Cap'n Fish left at 9:30 am because their website says daily trip now leaving at 11:30am.

Hi Cozyharbor: Thanks for the info on the Chamber of Commerce. I will take a look.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watching around Boothbay Harbor

Yes, the trip left at 11:30. They had a board out front of the stand that had all the times on it, and I think I remember one day that week that left at 9:30. I would definatley recommed calling a day or two in advance.

The boat was not crowded at all, it was great. There were probably about 25 people on board. I could tell that the ship was made to hold a lot more, but we had plenty of room.