We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One stop after Acadia / Maine

Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
One stop after Acadia / Maine

My family and I will be spending 3 nights in Acadia/Bar Harbor in late July. I 'd like to spend one more day/night in Maine before moving on to Boston. Have considererd spending one more night in BH but think it'd be nice to drive down the coast some to someplace different. Would Boothbay Harbor be a good suggestion for this? Sounds like people really like Camden/Rockland but going down the coast a little more might be better. Any other suggestions? We like to do things like hike and/or sightsee. Thanks so much.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,849 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One stop after Acadia / Maine

Boothbay Harbor or Camden would both make great oveernights

Boothbay Harbor would seem to be considerably closer to Boston, but the actual difference in driving time is only about 20 minutes..... because while Camden is directly on Rt 1, Boothbay Harbor is down at the end of peninsula and you'll need to drive back up Rt 27 to get to Route 1 when you're ready to leave town.

Another option to consider might be Portland -- considerably closer to Boston, with the opportunity to check out the Old Port area (great shops, restaurants, etc. in a restored area that was once waterfront warehouses and ship chandleries -- even some brick sidewalks), Portland Head Light Lighthouse (oldest continuously operating on the east coast, the Two Lights Lobster Shack (a classic coastal setting). The in the morning, it's an easy drive down I-95 to greater-Boston, or, if you have time, visit some of the southern Maine coast -- markedly different from Acadia and the mid-coast.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One stop after Acadia / Maine

I'd opt for Portland. If it's a pretty day take a hike around the Back Bay. Eat at Fore Street. Stay at the Portland Regency.

Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One stop after Acadia / Maine

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to research a little and see what there is to do in Portland. Since we're heading to Boston right after, I'm not sure we want to do a 'city' (knowing full well that Portland must be much different than Boston).

4. Re: One stop after Acadia / Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 06:28