We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oysters

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
oysters

Can you only get oysters in an"R" month?

That seems to be the only time you can get them around my area.

I don't see them on the menus that I've looked at.

Edited: 11 June 2010, 20:25
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oysters

If you read through this, you'll see the availability of oyster varieties here in Maine. Since farming has developed, the former ""R" month rule seems to have faded away.

portlandmonthly.com/portmag/…

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: oysters

Oysters are a year-round product. In fact they are farmed locally and Damariscotta River oysters are available at retail and at local restaurants.

Can't say for sure which restaurants in BBH would carry them (maybe 93 Townsend?) but for sure at King Eider Pub and Damariscotta River Grill (both in Damariscotta...just north on next peninsula off Rte One from BBH).

One link:

www.oysterfarm.com

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oysters

CB and HD : thank you for the information and the good news.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oysters

Schooner Landing also in Damariscotta has free Oyster Fridays. Lobster Dock & McSeagulls in Boothbay Harbor.

5. Re: oysters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor