We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Exeter, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

My husband and I are visiting Boothbay Harbor for 2/3 days in September. I am getting very excited about our trip. This forum has given me so many ideas of things to do, so I am trying to narrow them down and have a few questions!

Hiking: Are there any of the hiking trails operated by the Boothbay Region Land Trust that are suitable for a half day trip? What trails would you most recommend? We would particularly like any that give a chance to spot wildlife or take us next to the water.

Kayaking: I've never kayaked before but love the idea of paddling in the sea. Would it be cold in September? Is it hard work for a beginner and would it be better to do a guided trip rather than try and do it on our own?

Also, what is the weather likely to be doing in September and what time is sunset?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

I am not familiar with the trails of the Boothbay Land Trust, but from their website it looks like most could be done within a half day.

So far as kayaking goes, I would not recommend going on the water with no instruction. Kayaking is not difficult but, like a of of things, if someone can at least show you the basics it is a lot more fun and safer, too.

I am most familiar with the programs of LL Bean. llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/…odsFreeport.html You can get a brief introduction for $20, a guided tour on the Maine coast for $59, and all led by professional kayak guides, including equipment. They all go out of Freeport. You will paddle on fairly calm waters -- do NOT go out to the open ocean without a professional on your first or second paddle, or anywhere the weather is windy or there is a chance of lightning.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

There are kayak rental places in Boothbay that offer tours. Here is just one link:

http://www.eastboothbaykayaks.com/

It might be cold in September, it might not. The water will definitely be cooler and I have yet to discover a way to keep from dripping on myself. :-) Kayaking is a great way to see places from a different perspective and mingle with the water creatures. We were kayaking with the loons in western Maine last weekend. It definitely isn't too hard for a beginner to pick up.

We haven't done the trails either, although we've been planning to do so. Having been by several of the trail heads, I think you'll have options to see the water and/or spot wildlife.

iowa
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

We just went to Boothbay Harbor for the 1st time last September. We took our 2 boys kayaking there--Tidal Transit Kayak Co. None of us had ever been kayaking before and we all did fine and had a great time! They give you a quick lesson & there was no problem once we went out on our own.

They also give you directions to an island you can kayak to and then get out and walk around!

We were there the 3rd week of September and the weather was still pretty warm . Most days shorts & long sleeve tshirts & sweatshirts at night.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
156 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

WE have taken a number of trips with "Tidal Transit Kayaks" they are located right in the harbor. They offer a number of guided tours or you can rent the kayaks and go on your own. TH\he guides there are very friendly and helpful. If you haven't kayaked before it is very easy to pick up the basics.

Highly recommend kayaking in the Boothbay Harbor area as there are many islands and inlets you can visit and is very scenic

enjoy your trip

Edited: 18 July 2010, 12:50
Exeter, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

Thanks so much for the advice everyone - we'll definitely be checking out the kayaking while we are there!

6. Re: Boothbay Harbor hiking and kayaking questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor