We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor weekend

Reading, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Labor weekend

I'm British so know next to nothing about Labor weekend. We will be travelling from Boston to Boothbay on Sunday 5th September. We will be setting off around 9am, hoping most people wil lhave driven North on the Saturday.

What will the traffic be like? Any famous hot spots?

Will the local stores be closed?

Will the world and his wife be travelling to Maine that day?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor weekend

The heavy Boston to Maine weekend escape traffic will be Friday p.m. and Sat a.m. so your trip north on Sunday should not see anything out of the ordinary. Don't know what route you're planning but I would recommend staying on the Interstate as long as possible before veering off to Rte One and the coast (that means specifically Exit 31 off I-295).

Shops, restaurants, tourist activities should all be open on Monday (just don't plan on doing any banking or postal activity).

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor weekend

I think you picked the best day to travel north that weekend. If the weather is as nice as it has been for most of this summer, most of Massachusetts will have driven into Maine on either Friday or Saturday (or if they can, Thursday).

HD answered your shopping, etc. questions. Although banks will not be open, ATM's will still be usable.

Reading, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor weekend

Thanks for the replies. I will look forwards to a relatively stress free drive and hope most of the crowd did not get much further North than Portland, leaving Boothbay relaxed and unbusy.

4. Re: Labor weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 05:18