We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

My husband, myself and two teen boys are headed to ME for a few days and I am looking for a place to eat lobster on a deck over the water. I was in the area years ago and remember such a place, but have no idea where it was? All I remember was that it was on a gorgeous bay (so not helpful!) and close to where we had gone on a boat to see Puffins on some kind of nature reserve. I know this is vague! Any ideas out there?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

Not sure whether or not any of the following are the one you actually visited before....but the first three places that come to mind that could meet your criteria near Boothbay are...

-- Robinson's Wharf in Southport, Me

-- New Harbor Fisherman's Co-op in New Harbor

-- Muscongus Bay Lobster in Round Pond

You could try Googling them to see if any look./sound familiar.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

Waterman's in Thomaston?

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

There are many resturants at the pier in Boothbay Harbour; they often change names, but if you park in the public lot at the pier you should have no problem finding one. BUT may I suggest trying the Cabbage island Clambake. It is a boat cruise to a private island where you will have an authentic lobster dinner, including steamers, corn, etc. Blueberry cake for dessert.

www.cabbageislandclambakes.com/clambakes.htm Great place

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

I think you may be referring to Shaw's in New Harbor, which is walking distance from the Hardy Boat which you might have taken for your Puffin Tour.

That said, Musgongus Lobster in Round Pond (about 10 minutes from New Harbor) is my favorite. It's not as hectic as Shaw's, and a much prettier view, IMHO. But, it's menu is not as extensive as Shaw's, mainly lobster, clams and mussels. It's BYOB and they do n ot frown if you bring your own sides and desserts. Often people go all out with tableclothes, candles and real china and silverware.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
356 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

sailorgirl200 -

That's saying something if Musgongus Lobster is more scenic than Shaw's in New Harbor. Shaw's is surely hectic (particularly at peak hours) and the inside dining area is pretty plain. But the view from the outside tables is just fabulous looking out onto the harbor and towards distant islands. Also fun to have a drink and watch the lobster men unload.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
165 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

Thanks everybody!! Now I'm STARVING! Can't wait to go.

Toronto
Level Contributor
584 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

Harasseeket Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport...service a bit brusque but the price and food is amazing! An d you can bring your own wine/beer.

8. Re: Best Midcoast ME outdoor lobster?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor