We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Fall Trip - Itinerary Advice

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
246 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
New England Fall Trip - Itinerary Advice

Does this sound like a good itinerary for the first or second week in October?

Fri – Arrive Burlington, drive to Stowe (37 mi; 46 mins)

Fri /Sat– Overnight in Stowe, VT

Sun – Drive to Jackson, via Bath and Sugar Hill (127 mi; 2:42)

Sun/Mon/Tue – Overnight in Jackson, NH

Wed – Drive to Camden (137 mi; 3:07)

Wed – Overnight in Camden, ME

Thur – Drive to Bar Harbor (76.5 mi; 1:41)

Thur/Fri – Overnight in Bar Harbor, ME

Sat – Drive to Portland via US-1 (158 mi; 3:23)

Sat – Overnight in Portland, ME

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Fall Trip - Itinerary Advice

Yes in the sense that it gives you a good chance of seeing some great fall foliage somewhere along the way....

Maybe not in the sense that some of your Vermont and Vermont-to-New Hampshire routes and/or times may not be valid any more. Tropical Storm Irene did severe damage to many parts of Vermont, with some areas literally being cut off from outside access for several days due to road washouts. The Maine National Guard and Maine DOT have both sent contingents to Vermont to join other relief forces in getting their basic roads system restored.

If you haven't already done so, I'd put a post on the Vermont forum asking how the restoration efforts are coming, whether or not any of the routes you planned to use were severely impacted etc...... then do a follow-up post a week or so before you leave to see if your route(s) are still valid.

Only change in the Maine itinerary I might make is to go from Jackson NH straight thru to Bar Harbor, then come back down the coast to Camden on your way to Portland.... Otherwise, you're doing the Camden-Bar Harbor-Camden leg twice..... Save the repeat mileage and use the extra time in Bar Harbor...much more than a day's worth of things to do there....

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
2. Re: New England Fall Trip - Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:17