We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lawnmere gone but want similar

Which Boothbay Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Lawnmere gone but want similar

Any of you locals have substitute suggestion for now closed Lawnmere? Tried Spruce Point but not my style. Want a base for exploring coastal Maine in the fall and was bummed to discover Lawnmere closed a few years ago. Liked its ease of access away from hustle of town and its lovely restaurant. It had a wonderful "feel" to it on the two times we stayed there. Many thanks!

Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

Okay...called Chamber and put same question to nice lady who gave me a few options ncluding Five Gables Inn and Topside Inn....think I kinda know where these are but anyones' thoughts as to one vs the other appreciated. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

Both great places but I don't think either one has a restaurant, unless you're just looking for breakfast. Not sure what you mean about Spruce Point not being your style, Five Gables is along the lines of Spruce Point, a 4/5 star inn.

Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

Spruce Point was too 'resorty' (if that's a word)........it just felt really corporate (not at all a bad thing but not what we wanted after Lawnmere).

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

We just finished a 3 night stay at the Topside Inn and I can't say enough great things about it! The location is on the hill and close enough to walk anywhere. They only serve breakfast but it was wonderful every day. Ed and Brian were super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place to anyone and can't wait to visit there again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

We just finished a 3 night stay at the Topside Inn and I can't say enough great things about it! The location is on the hill and close enough to walk anywhere. They only serve breakfast but it was wonderful every day. Ed and Brian were super friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this place to anyone and can't wait to visit there again soon!

Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

We chose Five Gables primarily because you pay when you check out vs Topside that required full payment at check-in.....personal "policy" of mine (every business I deal with has their policies so I've adopted some of my own)!

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

The Newagen on Southport Island would be my suggestion. http://www.newagenseasideinn.com/

I think I get why you don't like the SPI--I'm not a big fan either, and think the Newagen speaks to those same sort of vibes you got at the Lawnmere. Relaxed, unpretentious, natural beauty all around.

Staff is very customer-service oriented and there are a variety of rooms from casual cabins to more modern.

Good luck.

Edited: 04 July 2012, 23:42
Level Contributor
652 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

Sadly, Newagen was already booked for our dates but plan to have dinner down there.....Thanks all the same......

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

Ask for a table by the window so you can get a view of the sunset (if there is a good one.)

10. Re: Lawnmere gone but want similar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor