We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

During a forthcoming road trip around New England (Sept 27 - 15 Oct.) we will spend two nights in Boothbay Harbour, which gives us one day in the area before we drive into New hampshire.

Apart from visiting the Botanical gardens at Boothbay (which we could do the afternoon we arrive) I was thinking about a drive further up the coast to Rockland. According to my map it looks a scenic drive too.

Any comments or other suggestions?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Yes, Rockland/Rockport/Camden area a good daytrip destination. Walk out on Rockland breakwater to lighthouse. Farnsworth Museum (Wyeths). Camden harbor and/or Mt. Battie.

Driving on Rte One not always "scenic". As with Boothbay, the real treasures of coastal scenery are on peninsulas off the main road.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Many thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Rockland is about an hour's drive from Boothbay Harbor, but don't expect the drive to be along the water. Rockland is the place where Route 1 meets the Ocean and start running parallel to the ocean(though a little inland & not exactly on the water).

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Thanks for your reply, I did see that the route to Rockland wasn't by water but my road map shows it as a scenic route. I am just thinking about what to do for our one day in that area.

I now wish I had included Acadia NP in my itinerary . . . . perhaps next time!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Not sure what tourism bureau did enough promoting to convince your mapmaker that Rt 1 between Wiscasset and Rockland was "scenic".... but it definitely sounds like a bit of a stretch in my miind... For the most part, that section of Rt 1 runs well inland from the actual coastline... you might get a "glimpse" of a tidal inlet or a coastal stream along the way, but definitely not "coastal" in the way most folks think of that word. Mostly a mix of rural fields-and-woods with some light commercial activities mixed in. Not really a "bad" drive, just definitely not a scenic coastal ride.

HD has already listed my favorite destinations in that area, but you might also want to check out the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, just south of Rockland in Owl's Head.... you can Google it for a look at the kinds of things they have in their collection.

One of your evenings in Boothbay Harbor, take the ride out to Ocean Point at the end of Rt 96 in East Boothbay -- very scenic area (waves and rocks) and sometimes a spectacular sunset....

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Thanks MainerOnTheGo - As a keen photographer I plan a drive out to Ocean Point, hopefully for a nice sunset.

As a matter of interest the map I have is a US one, Rand McNally. It has a dotted green line along the route suggesting it's scenic.

I guess it's a bit like the South African tourist authority in the way they have promoted their "Garden Route" . . . . . we weren't impressed with the Garden Route at all!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

And while you're in Boothbay, take a ride over to Southport.... the "swing" bridge that carries Rt 27 over Townsend Gut can be a good photo op at times.... and so can the little harbor visible from the dock/dining area (picnic tables under a huge awning) at Robinson's Wharf lobster pound, also in Southport...

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

OK, thanks.

BS

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

Gonna add my 2 cents: If you are spending just 2 nights in Boothbay Harbor (and only 1 full day), then I would suggest not taking a day trip. You only have one day, and Boothbay Harbor *is* a destination. Camden or Rockland would also have been great places to spend a day and a half, but since you'll be going to Boothbay, I'd recommend making the most of it. As was recommended, I'd visit Southport Island, and I'd head to Ocean Point (east of Boothbay). Perhaps a boat trip, or a visit to the living-history-museum style lighthouse out in the harbor. Just some thought for you.

I'm finally making it back to Boothbay again this Friday night, staying until Monday (Labor Day). I can't wait!!!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Boothbay Harbour

I'm with john_laury. Stay in Boothbay Harbor and use the advice given you by him and MainerOnTheGo. If you feel the need to check out another location, take the River Road over to Damariscotta and Newcastle, then swing down the peninsula to Pemaquid Point.