We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

Las Vegas, Nevada
14 posts
Save Topic
Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

planning on two nights in Maine in early August. Will be driving over from No. Conway and trying to decide whether we are better off with two young boys (6 and 4) in Booth Bay, maybe at Ocean Gate or stay in Old Orchard Beach. From the posts about OOB, its sounds a little rowdy. Please help!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

Suggestion that you go to Boothbay, but instead of the Ocean Gate, pick one of the downtown hotels where your door opens to a balcony over the water.

I think that would make a bigger impression on the kids than the Ocean Gate. Plus, you could walk to so much downtown (candlepin bowling lanes, the fudge shop, the bridge over the harbor, etc.)

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

Hi SoBaymom,

Definitely head to Boothbay Harbor. It's very family oriented but not as crazy as OOB.

Meanwhile, the Ocean Gate looks like a nice little resort on Southport Island from what I gather. However, I've never stayed there so I can't vouch for it one way or another.

As Michele suggested, it might be a good idea to stay in town if possible. That'll make it easier on you and the kids and you also won't have to hunt down a parking space and pay for it too everytime you come into town!

Here are some recommendations:

The Tugboat Inn is right in the heart of BBH and walkable to everything. It sits right on the water and has some great views and a nice restaurant.

On the east side, which is a bit further away but only a 5 to 10 minute walk into town, are two other nice hotels. Both of which are right on the harbor. The views from either are great and include the setting sun!

The first is the Rocktide which has an indoor pool; wonderful for those foggy days and tiring the kids out! It has a great restaurant with very good food and outside dining if the weather cooperates.

The second is Brown's Wharf. No pool but great views, really nice people, a marina and again fabulous views of the harbor and sunsets.

Both the Rocktide and Browns offer trolley service to town which pretty much runs non-stop all day and into the evening. The kids will love the ride and you probably will too.

Check out TA hotels and reviews and see which one appeals to you :). Good luck on planning your trip and let us know how it goes.

cozyharbor

P.S. If you have the time, try and read the lengthy response to " Need the Skinny..... by Pasadena ". I listed a bunch of things to do, see, etc. for BBH.

maine
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

I'm not too sure that little boys would enjoy Boothbay - very touristy

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

CozyHarbor should be able to tell you if you can still see tugboats parked next to Robinson's Wharf (lobster place in Southport Island)? If so, you should make a trip to show the boys the tugboats as they most likely will like that. While you are there, get your lobster and fried seafood fix.

Also, as you pass thru Bath on Route 1, you'll drive right next to Bath Iron Works, which makes huge naval vessels. It must be a real shock to tourists coming thru what looks like a quaint little Maine town to all of a sudden see huge ships in the river. You can usually see a few tugs docked there, too.

There is a putt-putt center just outside of Boothbay.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

What about heading south from sanbornville on rt. 109 and goint to Ogunquit. the beaches are great and ther is plenty of family fun for a couple of days with none of the rowdy element of OOB. I really enjoy the walk on the Marginal way and it is so scenic with lots of easy photo ops.

Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

If your children like to climb rocks they might enjoy locations here: http://www.bbrlt.org. There's a kid friendly rocky shoreline at Ocean Point, an easy 15 minute drive from Boothbay. A small pocket beach in Southport Island if you know where to look. They would probably like the small Marine Resources Aquarium, and maybe a ride on a windjammer. Drive a bit inland on mostly uncluttered rural roads north of Boothbay - there are organic farms where they can pick strawberries. Also consider the Monmouth Fair which occurs early August: http://www.mainevacations.net/fairs.htm.

At OOB, there's a large amusement park with kid's rides, and they can swim in the ocean of course. Not too far is Wild Animal Kingdom in York, a decent small to medium sized zoo with a paddleboat moat. Somewhat expensive. They can climb the rocks around Nubble Light which is not far. There's more traffic as you move further south; too much need for driving, even short distances on Route 1, might take up more time than you would imagine. Going north to Boothbay could eliminate all the hassle with traffic.

Even further north, Camden has a Lobster Festival in early August...

http://www.camdenme.org

Poughkeepsie
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booth Bay Harbor w/two children

If you go to Boothbay Harbor with kids, be sure to stop by the aquarium. My kids now 3 and 5 got a big kick out of petting the rays and sharks. There is also a low table/pool where they can touch sea cucumbers, stars, etc. The staff is really friendly.

We also always stop at Doughton's Doghouse while we are there. Great place for a quick lunch/dinner. Great desserts too. It's an outdoor place with picnic tables. Very informal and kid friendly.