We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay versus Camden

WI
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Boothbay versus Camden

We are planning a trip to Midcoast Maine in mid August. I have been to Rockland and Camden on business 3 times but during November. This is our first trip in the summer. I was originally just planning on returning to Camden since it is such a pretty place. But in my research I came across Boothbay. It looks very nice as well. We love sea side views, good local restaurants with local sea food, picturesque towns and just meandering around. What is Boothbay like compared to Camden? Is there a particular B&B Trip Advisor forum bloggers would recommend? Thanks for you help.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

Both are good places to visit. What we like about Boothbay Harbor is that there are several villages on the peninsula, like Southport and East Boothbay. There are also different opportunities to get out on the water from shorter cocktail cruises to longer trips down as far as Bath, plus kayak rentals. The Botanical Garden is a nice spot to visit and you will also not lack for local sea food. The next peninsula "up" hosts the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.

I really don't think you'll lose with either choice. However, if you've been to Camden and Rockland, it might be fun for you to try another area.

Maine
Level Contributor
405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

I would always recommend Boothbay. Both are beautiful, to me there's always a lot more to do there.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

Both great choices -- we make "day trips" (because we're close enough not to have to stay overnight) to both communities several times a summer. To us the biggest, most noticeable difference between the two is that Boothbay Harbor doesn't have US Rt 1 and the associated traffic running through the middle of it. Makes dowwntown Boothbay feel much calmer even on a busy summer weekend.... We love the Botanical Gardens in Boothbay and going out to Ocean Point in East Boothbay to watch fantastic sunsets over the rocks and ocean. Have had nice cruises (of varying lengths) out of both places.

Would agree that if you've already seen Camden, it might be worth giving Boothbay Harbor a try just for a change of scene.... but basically am not sure you can go wrong in either place....

WI
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

Thank you for your input. I think based on th posts I will select Boothbay. We would love to find a great B&B that is right on the water and might have balconies facing the water. I have looked at about 7 of them and they all look fabulous. Any specific recommendations? Have looked at Blue Heron Seaside Inn on line as well as a few others. Recommendations welcome! Thanks.

Fairfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
207 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

Haven't stayed there just seen the pics and corresponded with the owners of Sur La Mer Inn. Their B&B matches your description. We have rented their Boathouse Cottage for a week in July.

6. Re: Boothbay versus Camden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:17