We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf while at SMB?

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
golf while at SMB?

Heading to SMB in a few weeks. First time to this resort, although we enjoyed our stay at the Iberostar nearby a few years ago. I've never attempted to "sneak off" and get a round of golf in while at an all-inclusive and wondered what tips you all may have. The wife is not a golfer so I'm thinking an early tee time so she can sleep in.

- is there a local course that's recommended?

- are tee times required?

- going solo, will they pair me up with a group? If so, any idea what I can expect?

- club rentals?

Any tips for someone that's never gone golfing...alone...in a foreign country :-)

thanks

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golf while at SMB?

The Iberostar course I believe will be the closest. They do rent clubs as my husband has rented from them. The Mayakoba course isn't far from SMB either. I would make a tee time for sure and make it early as it will get hot on the course.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: golf while at SMB?

You get complimentary greens fees at the Grand Coral golf course when staying at Secrets. You do pay for a cart (mandatory) and club rental. You can register for a tee time on line via the link below, or make the reservation when you arrive. There is an extra fee for early tee times, read the terms and conditions below.

www.secretsresorts.com/offers/cancun-golf

We're offering complimentary golf at Grand Coral Riviera Maya golf course. Guests can enjoy one complimentary round per person, per day when staying now through April 30, 2014. There are additional fees that guests are responsible for at the golf course. Pricing is according to the season as follows:

Pricing from May 1, 2013 to November 30, 2013:

Premium Tee Time Supplement: $35 per person

Cart fee: $40 per person in a shared cart

Junior (under 18 years old): $40 per junior riding with an adult

Rider fee: $35 (includes access to the club areas)

Re-round fee: $40 per re-round (9 or 18 holes)

Pricing from December 1, 2013 to April 30, 2014:

Premium Tee Time Supplement: $35 per person

Cart fee: $50 per person in a shared cart

Junior (under 18 years old): $40 per junior riding with an adult

Rider fee: $35 (includes access to the club areas)

Re-round fee: $50 per re-round (9 or 18 holes)

Additional pricing details: Prices are in USD and include taxes. Golf carts are mandatory and must be used by all golfers. Premium Tee Times are from 6 am to 1 pm in the winter and from 6 am to 2 pm in the summer. Individual reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance through the resort's concierge and are subject to availability. A no-show penalty of $50 will be charged to your room. To avoid this fee guests must cancel with a minimum of 24 hours before the booked tee time. Additional supplements and policies do apply for groups of 16 or larger. Prices are subject to change without prior notice.

This offer is subject to availability and can be modified at any time. Blackout dates and restrictions apply. Free round of golf is applicable to adults 18 years or older.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 23:11
Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golf while at SMB?

Where is the Grand Coral golf course?

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golf while at SMB?

My husband and son are trying to golf as many of the local courses as possible and the Grand Coral is next on the list in a few weeks. I've been trying to figure out a price to expect to pay. Looks like it will run them about $165.00 per person for a morning tee time and $50.00 or so each for club rental. I'm hoping to find some kind of discount from our (cheaper) resort but I doubt it. So far they have played the Mayan Palace course (about 10+ times due to lesser cost and proximity to resort...roughly $75.00), the Iberostar (hubby says this one is his favorite $190.00 per person includes food and beverages), Playacar (also $190.00 including food and beverages), the Mayakoba ($254.00 per person no food or beverages) and the Cozumel Country Club ($110.00 no food or beverages). Can anyone recommend another course in the area for them to try if they get a second chance this trip? How is Moon Palace? How about the course in Puerto Aventuras? Thanks for any info. Maybe I should ask this in a new thread. :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: golf while at SMB?

Grand Coral is just north of Playa del Carmen.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: golf while at SMB?

The course in Puerto Aventuras is only 9 holes. From the sound of it, don't think they'd care for such a novice course.

There's the Riviera Maya Golf Club, down by the Bahia: http://www.rivieramaya-golfclub.com/

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: golf while at SMB?

Texas, the Grand Coral isn't too far north of Playa del Carmen. And Mark, I forgot to add that they will probably pair you up with someone and my husband usually makes a tee time a day ahead or so.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: golf while at SMB?

Good deal on the GC! If I remember correctly they rent Pings.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: golf while at SMB?

Thank you beachnick, I will check that one out. :)

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: golf while at SMB?

Thanks! I wasn't sure where it was located.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma