We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at El Dorado Maroma

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at El Dorado Maroma

I have a question about the beach at EDM. I have seen many pictures of the beach and ocean on people's reviews. I never see many people actually in the water.

Can someone compare this stretch of beach to the beach at Couples Swept Away in Negril?

-Can you take a float out and float around like at CSA?

-Is the water shallow?

Thanks for the help!

China Grove, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

I am looking for the exact same answers. We are trying to decide between EDM and Negril. Any suggestions on small AI resorts in Negril. We were set on EDM until I saw the bad review on the beach being rocky and shallow at the EDM end

Pocatello, Idaho
Level Contributor
683 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

It's interesting - the Maroma beach where Secrets, Cat, and the non AI (Maroma resort?) are located on one of the most pristine beaches anywhere on earth, in a semi-protected cove. The EDM, though, is just on the other side of this cove, around the horn (use an aerial maps to see what I mean). The beach is still nice there,I think it is still called Maroma beach (?) but the EDM has more rock and reef, and if I recall there are some sand whales there to protect the area. I think there is good entry into the water towards the north end of the property. It would be maybe a 20 minute walk to the north around the horn to get to the area where Secrets is.

I can't fully answer your question without having been to Negril - however perhaps if you consider the Secrets just to the north of EDM that would offer you an even better swimmers beach.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

The beach at EDM is wonderful and we have never had to walk anywhere for access without rocks. Beach is wide, clean and private with wonderful swimming conditions. We have stayed there 3x with another booked and the beach and ocean is the best we have found so far in Mexico. There is certainly no reason to walk 20 minutes! We prefer the beach and ocean at EDM to that at Secrets Maroma.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

caviargirl,

I plan on taking a float, but do most people just sit in the water? How deep is the water? I loved floating around in the ocean at CSA, but I guess most people don't do that.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

Some people bring their own floats and we may bring a couple of the easy to pack ones next trip and then leave them behind. It would be easy to float IMO.

We also LOVE floating in the sea at CSA - one of our favorite things to do in Negril. EDM would be one of the few resorts IME where this is possible in MX.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

Thanks for the clarification caviargirl! I'm thinking of changing my travel dates from November to September....good idea or no?!?!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

It is a crapshoot IMO. It is a little chilly for us in the water in November unless very early in the month but may be better in terms of rain probability.

America, The...
Level Contributor
8,077 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

It was really rainy Sept/Oct this year if I remember correctly.

texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

I have been to EDM 9 times and NEVER seen a rock in the water or on the beach...been to multiple AI in Riviera maya and maroma beach is the best IMO. very wide white beach...no waves..perfect for pool floats..its will get as deep as chest high in front of protective barriers...deeper behind them....I have multiple pics of beach if you are interested. :)

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at El Dorado Maroma

RM,

When it does rain, does it pour for a while then stop? Do the storms tend to blow in quickly...or does it tend to rain all day?

Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma