We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snorkeling near Maroma?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best snorkeling near Maroma?

We arrive next Thursday (!!) and I'd like to take our 7 year old daughter snorkeling. We don't want a full day trip somewhere since DH and DS (4 years old) will stay behind at CPM. Can anyone recommend a good snorkeling excursion close to Maroma? Much appreciated!

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

The dive shop at the resort can take you on a snorkeling excursion right from your beach.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

Thanks MadMaya! I will inquire there. Also read some good reviews of Wet Set out of Puerto Morelos so I may look into that as well.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,449 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

But does your 7 year old want to snorkel off of a boat (Maroma or PM) or walk in from the beach (best to take a taxi to Akumal)

Abilene, Texas
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

You should check out h2oh! sun cruises. The boat is huge and beautiful i was personally surprised at how much room was on the boat. The place we snorkeled was perfect and the water was crystal clear. The owner even gave me a camera so i could take pictures underwater! There were turtles and fish with very bright colors. I even saw a sting ray and a starfish which one of the crew let me hold. With your children there is always a large family room on board which is air conditioned and if they wish they could watch videos or movies. We booked online and it was truly a great experience.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

My first advice would be Wet Set but I would advise you either have a talk with your child on what this kind of activity entails and probably even testing them out in the pool with a mask and snorkel to see if they can even physically do it. I can personally recommend wet set and if I were to take a child Id use them. Very small groups and there is a guide (you are lucky if you get Noah) who can/will help your child if need be. The drive from Maroma is not too far from PM and Wet Set will genuinely help you and your family have a good snorkel experience. But if you child is not comfortable then its a moot point.

Or Id look at going to Akumal and snorkeling right off of the beach.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

h2oh! is out of Puerto Aventuras if I am thinking correctly and its quite a way from Maroma. If you are going to go all the way down there, you may as well go to Akumal and snorkel there where you can be on your own schedule and snorkel from shore.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

Thanks all! My 7 year old is a fish and has no problem snorkeling in the pool. She would have fun going off a boat and it sounds like Wet Set uses life vests at Puerto Morelos so that will make it even easier for her. I love Akumal too, so that's an option, but I'd rather stay closer to Maroma.

8. Re: Best snorkeling near Maroma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma