We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

Hello,

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone here. I reads pages and pages of reviews regarding this resort and picked it because we needed rest and relaxation. Instead it's like being at a college frat party.

There is no rest here especially at the main pool which has been taken over by a bunch of people who yell and scream all day. Last night they were still in the pool well into the evening. Drinking and carrying on at the swim up bar.

I know the hotel has no control who stays but balloon fights today at the main pool was the ultimate annoyance. We thought we were coming to a couples paradise instead it's been complete opposite.

Has anyone experienced this kind of thing here? It rained this afternoon so I thought at least I could get some quiet time on my balcony which I barely use because the people at the pool are very loud...but no the animation team thought a balloon fight would appease these people.

Seriously makes this place really trashy.

Did I read the right reviews??????

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

May be there is a large group of people vacationing together - like a convention or someone private event - it can change the atmosphere?

2. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2014, 21:32
West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

Do you know if they are all together as one big group or wedding party? Hopefully they aren't there your whole stay!

I haven't been to EDM but my understanding from researching it is that it's small so there might not be too many places to go to escape the rowdiness.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:31
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

Do they not have a quiet pool, most resorts have a so called party pool, and another for folks that want to unwind, perhaps read a book. Personally, I avoid pools like the plague, and enjoy the beach. The Macarena gives me a skin rash.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

All it takes is one wrong group of people to ruin the experience for others. Anyone who thinks a resort is immune to this happening, is not in touch with reality.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

It happened to me at Le Blanc. It was anything but zen.

Well said, October.

Mentioned in this post
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Le Blanc Spa Resort
6,371 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

Another "Well said" to OctobeLuver.

During my recent stay at a different resort, my vacation chill was adversely affected by someone on the beach who decided to use speakers instead of earphones. Fortunately, I was able to relocate to a place well out of earshot but I can relate to the OP's frustration. I'm not sure if such people are terminally selfish or genuinely have no idea how much their behaviour affects others.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 16:27
North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
758 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

It happened to me at The Grand, it can happen at any resort. Mine was a convention. The 2 prior trips at the Grand were fantastic. I hope the group leaves soon and you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

After three stays at EDM, it happened to me on my last stay there. Large wedding group that sucked in other couples looking to party. They were loud at night, drinking at Bar 24 after it had closed by emptying the contents of all their collective mini bars. Some had rooms with full bottles of booze and mixers so they set up their own bar. They just brought a not so relaxing atmosphere to the hotel, day and night as they would get super drunk during the day too but it is a fact that it can happen anywhere. It just depends on who is at a resort at any given time, and that cannot be predicted.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EDM Definitely not quiet and peaceful

I also wonder about the speakers at the beach/pool thing. What can they possibly be thinking that everyone wants to hear their music?

Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma