We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Choose?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Choose?

Hi to All!

I am planning a trip to the Riviera Maya for late February 2015 with my 33 year old daughter and I need help sorting out a few things. Many of you have answered various and sundry of my stupid questions already and I thank you all for your help.

I have narrowed it down to -

Secrets Maroma Beach, or Iberostar Grand Paraiso, or Paridisus La Perla.

Which of these would provide the best opportunity for my daughter to converse/socialize with people her own age but not leave me feeling like a 60 year old man hanging around with too a young crowd?

I gather that the pros and cons outside of this principal question are as follows:

- SMB has excellent food and drinks, great beach and pool scene, beautiful grounds, but with a bedroom/bathroom combo that has little privacy but could be worked around..

- IGP has excellent drinks and bars, a very good but somewhat locally rocky beach and pool scene, beautiful grounds and views, excellent bedroom/bathroom setup,but has average food and a lot of "towel game" and limited Palapas after 8:00 AM.

- La Perla has excellent food and drinks, excellent restaurants and bars, beautiful grounds and interior spaces, apparently tons of cabanas and beach chairs, excellent bedroom/bathroom setup but has a poor beach that has lots of hidden rocks and seaweed (obvious in photos). In virtually all photos there seems to be a very sterile look about it and it always seemed devoid of people having any fun whatsoever. Am I wrong or is it more fun than it looks?

I would appreciate your answers as to the best social scene for my daughter (and me all things considered) and any comments that you may have with regard to my perceptions of each resort as I have listed. A general age demographic of each resort might help?

Thank you all very much in advance for your answers and comments!

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Choose?

Both SMB and IGP are "couples" resorts. Although there will be singles at both the majority of guests will be couples, many celebrating anniversaries or honeymoons. At both resorts there will be people the ages of you and your daughter. How much socializing there will be could be another story. I have to add that when I was at IGP there was not any towel game and plenty of beach palapas. Also the palapas at IGP are set up for two whereas the ones at SMB are set up for four people.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Choose?

Due to size of La Perla and the fact that is is directly adjacent to Esmerelda, IMO that resort is your best bet. Location would be great as well if she wants to check out 5th Ave.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Choose?

For the social scene for her, especially in February, I wouldn't pick the Grand as much as I do love that place so much. La Perla may be a great option for the two of you. As for SMB: I am your daughters age and couldn't imagine sharing a hotel room with an open concept with my dad.

We have never been and experienced "average" food, the towel game, or limited palapas by 8 at the Grand. I have been 4 times and never once been on the beach by 8 and have always found an open palapa in front of building 70 (our favorite location). I can believe, and have read as much, that that does sometimes happen, however, I didn't want you to think that was the "norm" for the Grand.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Choose?

I found the pool scene at SMB quite social. Now if your daughter wants a date, maybe not, but everyone is having a great time and are more than willing to chat . And you dad, will meet lots of people in your age range as well. I don't think you can lose with any of the three choices.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Choose?

I don't understand why people are saying the social scene at the IB Grand wouldn't be good for your daughter. There are people in their 30/s at the IB Grand. All three resorts are adults only and will have mostly couples. The IB Grand also offers the non adults only resorts that are part of the complex if your daughter wants to find some singles.

Calgary
Level Contributor
651 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Choose?

I have been to both IBG and SMB and I love both of them. You could always decide by price (that is what I do). There are more restaurants at SMB, the shows are good at IBG but spectacular at SMB. Also, the spa at SMB is "to die for". There is also a heated pool at SMB (in Dec & Jan that is a huge plus). If either of you golf there are 2 free rounds at IBG per week. The course is fabulous. Also at IBG you can have bottles of liquor or wine in your room - SMB you can just order drinks or a glass of wine from room service. No dinner reservations at SMB (if that matters to you). You honestly will not be disappointed at either resort. Let us know which one you decide on. Good luck and have fun!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Choose?

For those that might have been curious, we settled on the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for our Father - Daughter Trip. All in all it had the most options for both of us. I've booked an Ocean Front - Two Queen Beds- Second Floor or higher - Building 70.

Thank you all very much for your help and I'm sure we will have a great time in February when its -20 here in Calgary!

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Choose?

I look forward to your review. I am sure you will love it!

9. Re: Help Me Choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Playa Maroma