We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Advice Needed - Brunswick/Deer Isle

Which Brunswick hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pierre sd
6 posts
Save Topic
Local Advice Needed - Brunswick/Deer Isle

Brunswick - Joshua L. Chamberlain Museum.... Worth a visit if so how long to allow for?

Bath - Maine Maritime Museum .... Worth a visit if so how long to allow for?

I would like to do the two attractions mentioned but still arrive in Deer Isle with time to do a couple farm tours.

Google Maps puts the drive at about 3 hours, up RT 1.

Would this be the best route to take?

Any suggestions for Deer Isle, attractions, lodging. Not really into the arts but more fishing and agriculture.

Thanks in Advance for your input

1 reply
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,672 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Advice Needed - Brunswick/Deer Isle

If you do Brunswick, then Bath, then continuing north on Rt 1 makes the most sense as far as travel routes go.... If you reversed the order, did Bath and then Brunswick, you also would have the option of going up I-295 from Brunswick to I-95 in Gardiner to ME Rt 3 east in Augusta, which would get you to Belfast.....which you'll also pass thru going up Rt 1. In general, the timing for the two routes should be about the same, but the Brunswick-Augusta-Belfast option helps avoid any potential slowdowns in traditional US Rt 1 choke-points like downtown Wiscasset and downtown Camden.... which may not may not be an issue depending on when you're traveling.... probably not really an issue from now to late September-early October when the fall foliage visitors start to arrive...and then worse on weekends than mid-week.

Can't offer meaningful comments on either museums -- been too long since I was last at either of them....

Reply to: Local Advice Needed - Brunswick/Deer Isle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brunswick
More Brunswick Topics