We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

Which Bucksport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

We drove through Bucksport, ME to reach Fort Knox State Historic Site and the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory in Prospect, ME. Then, we drove through the town again, and again. There were NO SIGNS to indicate where to turn to reach this Site. This attraction is advertised in all the tour books, the AAA's book and on the Maine.gov web site, but I guess it is not important enough for them to invest in a SIGN. We finally stopped at the tourist information center to get directions.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

You didn't say by what route you reached and drove through Bucksport. Had you been on Rt. 1, you could not have missed it.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

Sorry you had a hard time finding it -- but bet you have to admit the view was worth it once you got there...

Just checked the maine.gov website home page.... one-third of the way down the left-hand column is a link labeled: Mapping - Directions to State Parks, Polling Places, State Offices and more... Clicking on it brings you to a state map where you can zoom into any area of the state that interests you. Doing so in the Bucksport area clearly shows the location of the State Park.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

Route One goes over the bridge so JET had to be on it. I have been that way and seen signs, but I suppose they could be more prominent. We have strict signage laws here.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

I suppose you could come into Bucksport on Rt 15 from Brewer and drive through town toward Ellsworth without going over the Penobscot Narrows Bridge, or vice-versa... But if memory serves, part of the front of Fort Knox and the bridge tower with the observatory are both visible from downtown Bucksport... Whatever the reason, this is the first complaint I've seen/heard about people having trouble finding it...

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

I believe the confusion results from it not being obvious where you go if you're just looking to go up to the Observatory. Sure, it's easy to see where the Fort is, but if I hadn't read up beforehand on where you go in order to get to the Observatory, I wouldn't have known. Then again, I wouldn't drive around town *again and again* without stopping at one of the many spots nearby to ask for directions.

Delaware
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

We could see the Bridge, but no sign to tell us where to turn. The rep. at the information told us they have asked repeated for a sign, the ticket seller at the entrance to the Fort told us that it was up to the State of Maine to put up signs, and the guide at the elevator told us that there is a sign but it is poorly placed behind a tree.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

There is a very well-placed large (about the size of a double bed mattress) sign on Route 1 going north (how I usually approach the bridge), but when the bridge comes into view, it's very tempting to look up at the bridge in awe and totally miss the sign that tells you how to get to the the entrance.

I bet that's what happened to a JET rips.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

You may be right. Generally, I think that a lot of people traveling to Maine expect the billboard-sized signs and totally miss the more understated signs that we have here.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

You mean something more like "SEE ROCK CITY"?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory

You got it.

I recall our first trip to Maine. After spending years in Tennessee, where they've never seen a 30-foot billboard they didn't like, it was a real (welcome) change to see only the small, usually uniform signs in Maine.

Get answers to your questions about Bucksport
Recent Conversations