We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love advice on first time to Maine

US
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Would love advice on first time to Maine

We are traveling to Maine next week with 2 toddlers in tow and would love some advice on places to visit, where to eat. Some ideas I've gotten from previous posts include: Isleboro, Reid State Park, Popham Beach State Park. I still have to research these to see how far they are to drive. We're thinking some very light hiking, some town visits, some beach time and, of course, lobster rolls and ice cream. Just casual, relaxed fun so any and all suggestions are welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Popham Beach State Park
Popham Beach State Park
321 Reviews
Phippsburg, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
US
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

I should probably have added that we're staying for 1 week in Camden.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

First thought for the toddlers --

Five miles up US Rt 1 from Camden is the town of Lincolnville, which has a small public beach right alongside Rt 1 -- it's between the acccess road to the Maine State Ferry Service terminal and the Lobster Pound restaurant....on your right as you drive north.

The beach is more a mixture of coarse sand and smooth small pebbles than the typical white sand beach -- but, at least when we were toddlers -- that never interfered with our enjoyment there on numerous weekends.

Beach is far enough off the highway that parents can relax a bit, nice view of Penobscot Bay, and very handy place to Camden.

Also addresses your question about traveling distance to Islesboro -- the state Ferry Service terminal for the ferry to Islesboro is adjacent to the beach. Not really enough to do or see on the island itself to justify the cost of taking a car over, but there is a nice park and small museum immediately adjacent to the ferry terminal on the island. Nice to just ride over-and-back at walk-on (pedestrian) rates -- or carry your picnic on board, get off at the island and have lunch in the park while the ferry makes another run, then pick up the return trop back to Lincolnville....

Depending in kids actual ages and interests, they (and their parents) might or might not enjoy visiting the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, just south of Rockland. Check their website for more info...

Mentioned in this post
Maine State Ferry Service
Maine State Ferry Service
65 Reviews
Rockland, ME
Lobster Pound Restaurant
Lobster Pound Restaurant
442 Reviews
Lincolnville, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

Here's a link to events in the Camden area while you are here:

camdenme.org/blog/visitors/1309870599-july-p…

Reid State Park is a great place to go with toddlers if you want the big sand beach experience. In addition to the main beach, there's also the lagoon, which is warmer and calmer. Having said that, I'm not sure it's worth the drive from Camden if you just want to take the kids for a couple of hours. Mainer's suggestion would fill that bill nicely.

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
US
Level Contributor
145 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

Thank you both - great suggestions! Our older one will love the Transportation musems. Lincolnville's beach sounds much easier than Reid State Park.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Mentioned in this post
Reid State Park
Reid State Park
236 Reviews
Georgetown, ME
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

Some good places to eat with kids is:

Cappy Chowder House

http://www.cappyschowder.com/

Atlantica Restaurant - Seafood Bistro

http://atlanticarestaurant.com/

Waterfront Restaurant

http://www.waterfrontcamden.com/

Marriner's Restaurant

Mentioned in this post
Marriner's Restaurant
Marriner's Restaurant
469 Reviews
Camden, ME
6. Re: Would love advice on first time to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:16