We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit in May...

Which Camden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A visit in May...

How is May for a Maine coast visit? Schools get out the end of May this year in Florida, and I was thinking that maybe we could "beat some of the summer crowds" if we visit in May instead of the rest of the summer....Weather, flowers, bugs report for May? We visit yearly in October and love the Maine to Boothbay Harbor areas. Thanks so much :)

Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A visit in May...

And of course I meant in the second to the last sentence....."We(hubby and I) visit yearly and love the CAMDEN to Boothbay Harbor areas." Sorry for the "too early in the morning to type correctly" mistake!!!!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A visit in May...

I live on the ocean and so feel uniquely qualified to answer this question.....largely due to the fact that my husband spends half of the month of May complaining about the weather!!!!

May is an absolutely gorgeous month in Maine. All of the spring flowers are in full bloom---the tulips, the daffodils, the azalea, and tons of forsythea everywhere. The early trees have leaves; the later ones like the oaks have sprouted little leaves that look like light green fur. It is beautiful. There is a lightness of rebirth in the air, and everyones' moods seem lighter after the long winter. The anticipation of summer is palpable, both in the air and the residents.

If you had said you like to stay inland, I would tell you without reservation it is a GREAT time of year. But here's the thing.....once the afternoon seabreeze kicks up.....and it absolutely will on sunny days.....the coast gets just incredibly cold. The ocean temp is usually around 42 degrees at that time of year, and when the wind comes off of it, look out. I know this sounds odd, but trust me----I'll drive half a mile inland to the supermarket and be in nice 75-degree heat in shorts and tee shirt. I start to drive down the road to my house and watch my car's thermometer just plummet. It is not at all unusual for the temperature difference to be 15 degrees (and with the ocean breezes, feeling arctic). That's right around the time my husband starts growling!

By comparison, October can have those brisk fall days, but there isn't a lot of difference between areas (well of course the mountains are colder in the fall). Ocean water temps in October are generally still in the 60's and that makes a world of difference to the coastal weather.

The bug thing is ok in May I think.....not in the woods where I think they come out by then , but generally alright. At least I don't notice them (possibly because I'm too busy freezing on my boat???)

Bottom line is that I think it's a lovely time of year, but if going out on the water is something you enjoy doing, better bring those down parkas, hats and mittens!

3. Re: A visit in May...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Camden