We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Which Camden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Topic
Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Hello everyone. I've enjoyed reading the Boothbay forums very much, but I figured I'd come over here to ask questions. My family vacations in Boothbay every other year or so and has since I was very young. We always take an afternoon to travel up to Mt. Battie and look at the view over Camden.

I was thinking, though, that it would be nice to experience a bit more of Camden itself and make a more complete daytrip. Besides the view from the mountain, what do you think is the best way to experience a small slice of Camden?

I'm thinking probably that we'd get in in time to see Mt. Battie b/f lunch, then eat lunch and dinner in Camden before heading back to Boothbay. Are there places we absolutely have to eat? Any really cool and unusual shops we just have to check out? I'm completely ignorant about the town.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

- John

Providence RI
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

But, have you been to Rockland? If not, include it on your way. The Owl's Head lighthouse (a hike up) has a super view of the waters. There are the Farnsworth and Wyeth Museums.

Camden has a nice little wharf area, where you can take bay tours.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Camden isn't really all that big. You could easily walk the two streets that have shops and restaurants in two hours and see for yourself which shops are the nicest and whose menu looks the best.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Camden is very beautiful. I think when many people research vacations to a picturesque Maine harbor, Camden usually comes up - and rightfully so. The one drawback to Camden is that all these people end up visting the place!

If you spend the day there I suggest visiting some of the outskirts of Camden. Camden has a sister town, Rockport (not to be confused with Rockland), and it is equally beautiful - but in a much more quiet and quaint way. We pick up sandwiches at the Camden Deli and then drive the back roads to Rockport and have a picnic in the Harbor Park.

If you are spending the day in the area I would also consider visiting the St Georges peninsula. Owls Head, Tenants Harbor and Port Clyde are great places to visit and you can see a lot in a day. Owls Head has a lighthouse with a great view, Tenants Harbor and Port Clyde are really nice authentic harbors. Near Port Clyde is the 'famous' Marshall Point lighthouse. Probably my favorite lighthouse in Maine. Its also a great picnic spot (you can get a good sandwich at the Port Clyde General Store).

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Dear JLaury,

It might be nice to drive the Bayview Road loop that runs in a horseshoe shape from Camden to Rockport. You'll pass many lovely summer homes (some would be considered estate like), a farm with blackbelted cows, and glimpses of the harbor and eventually a golf course. Check with a local map to find Bayview St. Once on it you can't get lost as it eventually brings you out to route 1 just south of Camden.

Another nice drive is to go a bit west of town out to the local winery. Can't remember the name of which road you'd take or the name of the winery, but I'm sure if you google Camden Winery or check with their chamber of commerce site, it'll come up with directions. The winery offers free tastes along with cheeses, etc and is quite the nice experience and in a lovely location.

This same road takes you past Lake Megunticook, some lovely mountains (the Mt. Battie range), and old farm houses. There's a great Inn not too far off with a French Chef in an old, elegant house that would be a lovely spot to have lunch or dinner. Again, check with Camden for the name. Or if I get a free moment I'll check for you and post back.

Last, take a ride to the Rockland Breakwater Light and walk the mile long jetty out to the lighthouse. It's very wide and safe, people fish and picnic there all the time. You'll also be sure to see all kinds of boats including windjammers, fishing, and power boats. In the distance are views of Owls Head and the Camden Hills. Plus when you're out at the tip right next to the actual lighthouse, you feel like you're sitting out in the middle of Penobscot Bay!

I second visiting the Farnsworth Museum and Olsen House. Most of the paintings are either done by Maine artists or of Maine landscapes. They have a nice gift shop too. And the Olsen House is just enchanting and gives you a real feel for old Maine.

Good luck and hope you have a nice time. Don't forget to post back and let us know how it goes!

cozyharbor

Philadelphia...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

Thank you all so much for your advice. I don't know exactly when this trip will happen (since this coming summer is unfortunately not one that we'll be up in Boothbay), but it certainly will next time I'm up in Maine. Perhaps eventually I'll extend further and be able to get acquainted with the whole wonderful coast.

All the best to you!

6. Re: Boothbay lover with sights on Camden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Camden
Recent Conversations