We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to maine in fall of 2013

Which Caribou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
driving to maine in fall of 2013

WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE TO MAINE IN 2013 IN FALL,COMING FROM CHICAGO ,WOULD LIKE TO GO THRU SMALL TOWNS IN MAINE ,DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE THRU CANADA TO START TRIP,Will be camping out along the way,my wife and I will be driving from chicago,ILLLINOIS,WE hope to start our trip in caribou and drive down to the coast of maine,and stop in small towns along the way,were planning on going thru the states of maine,new hampshire,roude island,mass.,conn.,new york,new jersey.any info we can get would be helpful ---thank you

12 replies to this topic
Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

You could follow Rt 1 from Caribou to the coast and only small towns are along that route - very scenic. If you wanted to camp in Baxter State Park (gorgeous!) you would need to go further inland. Highly recommend camping in Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island, too. Here is some info on parks in Maine that might be helpful: visitmaine.com/attractions/… Enjoy your trip!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

One of the "hidden gems" of Maine campgrounds is at Cobscook Bay State Park on US Rt 1 between Calais and Machias (the two nearest towns of any size). Generally uncrowded with (at least some of their) campsites atop the rocky headlands overlooking the water. Depending on how much time you want to spend in "downeast" Maine, you could camp there and use it as a base for day trips to Eastport and Lubec.... both unique coastal towns....

Would probably preclude a stop at Baxter State Park (unless you really wanted to back-track inland) but definitely will be less crowded than Baxter and offer you a real feel for Maine's undeveloped, un-touristed coastline....

Should be about three and one-half hours driving time if you follow US Rt 1 south from Caribou.....so plenty of time for stops along the way....

Googling Cobscook Bay State Park will give you added info -- including reviews from other campers who've stayed there.....

Clifton, Maine, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

I'm from Ct. originally and now live in Downeast Maine, and also have porperty in far Northern Maine.

You should just follow US 1 from Caribou all the way until you get to New Haven, Ct. I suggest you take a lot of time as you get closer to Portland, Maine and Boston, Ma. you will be in a lot of traffic. You may want to stray a little from US1 in these areas in order to get the full natural beauty of New England. If you are going for foliage, peak is around the 1st to 2nd week in October around Caribou and you can follow the colors South. Maine is definitely one of the most beautiful places you will ever see and if you want to camp, once you get south of Caribou and the Houlton area you are in one of the last wilderness area's on the east coast until you get to the coast.

You should have a wonderful trip!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

Fall of 2013? I hope this info is still good by then.

Have a Great Trip!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

In general, the info provided above is "generic" enough that it won't change much within the next five years....much less the next two.... Coobscook State Park has been essentially unchanged (except for facilities replacements and maintenance as needed) for decades; the filelds and forests from Houlton to Ellsworth via Rt 1 have been this way for the last thirty years that I know of.....and the easternmost portoin of the Maine coast remains as remote and beautiful as it was when I was a kid.....

Absent a major catastrophe (major runaway forest fire, tornado (rare indeed in Maine) or earthquake (even more rare), timandjudy can probably safely proceed with their planning just as they would for any other major road trip....

In general, things just don't change that quickly in most parts of Maine....

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

Good to know, thanks

Mapleton, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

You can follow U.S. 1 all the way to the top of Maine, in Fort Kent. Along the way, starting around Madawaska onwards, the route becomes beautiful and full of cliffs and gorgeous spots to admire the St. John River. I don't know much about U.S. 1 south of Houlton, but following U.S. 1 (or U.S. 1A) north of there will bring you through almost every town that isn't considered a village in Aroostook County!

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
645 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

I'm curious as to how you can start your trip in Caribou without driving through Canada, if you are coming from Chicago?

Mapleton, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

if I remember right, I-90 (starts around Chicago) branches right off onto an exit to I-95 in Mass, I think (but I know it DOES branch onto I-95) so that's probably the route to go

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

You remember well. I-90 goes from Chicago across the tops of Indiana and Ohio, through part of Pennsylvania, across the wide state of New York from Buffalo to Albany, becomes the Mass Turpike, and then one takes a left in Boston and is on I-95 and headed to Maine. Reverse the process to get from Caribou back to Chicago. Of course, if you went through Canada from Caribou, you could angle down from northeast to southwest instead of squaring off the journey. But then you would have to go through Quebec City, Montreal, and Toronto. Probably could avoid Detroit.

Alright, it's February in Maine and some of us have too much time on our hands.

Reply to: driving to maine in fall of 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caribou
Recent Conversations