We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to maine in fall of 2013

Which Caribou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
driving to maine in fall of 2013

WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE TO MAINE IN 2013 IN FALL,COMING FROM CHICAGO ,WOULD LIKE TO GO THRU SMALL TOWNS IN MAINE ,DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE THRU CANADA TO START TRIP,Will be camping out along the way,my wife and I will be driving from chicago,ILLLINOIS,WE hope to start our trip in caribou and drive down to the coast of maine,and stop in small towns along the way,were planning on going thru the states of maine,new hampshire,roude island,mass.,conn.,new york,new jersey.any info we can get would be helpful ---thank you

12 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

The wife and I did the trip from Fort Kent to Bar Harbor as part of a longer trip one year. (Old Orchard Beach to Lubec, to Millinocket, to Fort Kent, to Bar Harbor and then home)

What we found really fun to do was follow the planets as we went.

Start with the sun in Presque Island and go from there! www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6269

If you start at the sun they have maps of where the other planets are. Highlight for us was stopping at a gas station and asking a cop where Uranus was. He just laughed and pointed out it was right down the road a bit.

(Pluto is now inside a rest area because people ket stealing it!)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: driving to maine in fall of 2013

To see more of rural and very small-town Maine, and to avoid back-tracking too much on US Rt 1 once you get to northern Maine, consider the following alternate route once you get north of Bangor, ME.

-- Continue north on I-95 to Exit 264 in Sherman, ME, where you can pick up ME Rt 11 North. It will take you all the way to Fort Kent, ME -- the northernmost point on US Rt 1, and where it begins its 2,377 mile long meander to Key West, FL. You can actually stand on the bridge marking the dividing line between the US and Canada at the spot where the road officially becomes US Rt 1. Then you could follow Rt 1 down the scenic St. John River Valley through Madawaska to Van Buren, where it turns south to Caribou.

It would add some time and miles to your trip, but would let you see some very scenic sections of extreme northern Maine, and allow you to view Rt 1 from Caribou south with fresh eyes. If you stay on I-95 to its northern junction with US Rt 1 in Houlton, you'll still have to use Rt 1 to get to Caribou -- meaning you'll see that 55 mile section of Rt 1 twice. May or may not be worth the extra miles/time to you, but worth considering....

Reply to: driving to maine in fall of 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caribou
Recent Conversations