We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do around Cutler, Me

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
What to do around Cutler, Me

Five ladies have rented a cabin in Cutler for a week in July. We chose Cutler so that we would be centrally located between Bar Harbor and Canada, but not sure what all there is to do. Any suggestions.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

Do you know anything at all about Cutler?

There is precious little there. We have been in Cutler each of the last two years but just to park the car and climb on the boat with Captain Andy from Bold Coast Tours and go out to Machias Seal Island to see the nesting colonies of Atlantic Puffins, Razorbills, and Murres. Then its back to Cutler, into to the car and outta there.

You are also not far from Grand (or is Petit) Manon wildlife refuge.

Places to eat? I don't remember seeing any so I hope to plan to cook in.

You will be closer to Canada (Campobello Island) than to Bar Harbor. We stay in Bar Harbor and it is about a 2+ hour drive to Cutler. I think you can get to Lubec and the bridge to Campobello in about an hour. There are several cool lighthouses up that way - West Quoddy in Lubec and couple right across on Campobello.

Nearest town of any size to Cutler would be Machias - maybe 30 minutes or a little less.

That's a start.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

Back in 2007, I made a snarky comment about the only thing to do in Cutler was stand on the shore and hope for a whale sighting. CountyMounty wrote this in reply:

Lol @ bonniemaev. I live near Cutler. It is a very very small town and it is true that there is not much to do, at least not much by most people's standards. If you were looking for a very laid back coastal setting it certainly is that, it is also a great little town to pay a visit to.

Let me give a bit more detail that might help to better explain the town itself and why some people would say there is nothing to do.

The town has maybe 400 year round residents, and then an additional couple hundred summer residents (this is just a guesstimate). There is one very small store in the "village" part of town and now a newly opened store on the former Navy base that has been converted into housing. The town has some very beautiful ocean front but much of it is privately owned. It is a fishing community with a large part of the population making a living off from the sea (lobsters, clams, scallops etc).

The closest grocery store, restaraunts, fast food restaraunts, bank, and business area is in Machias about 1/2hr away. The closest Walmart is in Calais about 1 1/2 hrs away. The closest shopping mall in is Bangor about 2 1/2 hrs away.

A lot of people take a drive through Cutler from Machias while en-route to Lubec/Campobello Island as it is kind of the back scenic way to get there. To the west of Cutler between Cutler and Lubec there are the Bold Coast Trails. These are, in my opinion, the best hiking in downeast Maine. You can take a short loop trail (2 miles or so) or take the whole day to due the complete loop (about 7 miles) The trail takes you through the woods to the ocean front and then winds for several miles along the cliffs and rock beaches along the ocean. There are also a couple of primative oceanfront campsites for overnighters. This is probably the place you are refering to where you can watch whales from the shore, as there are some really good views from the cliffs where you can look out and see all kinds of sea life.

So to summarize, no there isn't a lot to do there, but it is the "easy life" in a nice coastal town and there is some great scenery.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

I am still kind of lurking around this site but have less time to post. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

can only again restate that if you are looking for a relaxing laid back week then Cutler will give you that. If you want a lot of options for eating and shopping then you are in the wrong place. It is probably about half way between New Brunswick and Bar Harbor. Not sure what cottage you are renting but I bet you will not be disappointed.

Not sure all of what it is you ladies are looking to do but hiking at the Bold Coast trails previously mentioned, Quoddy Head State Park and Roosevelt Park on Campobello is great. The newly opened Sunrise Trail is likely to become a new draw of people to the area. About 85 miles of the old railbed has been converted to a multi-use trail for hiking, biking, ATV's etc and this will be its first year "officially" open although last year it got plenty of use.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

Also if it happens to be the first of July the city of Eastport has a pretty large Independence Day celebration that general spans 3 or 4 days and includes a lot of events.

Cutler, Maine
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

To start with there are the Puffin Tours, on occasion you can do a lighthouse tour on the island located in the mouth of the harbor as well as several beautiful hikes you could enjoy. There is also the option of renting a kayak from Sunrise Kayak and Canoe about 15 minutes away (they will deliver if you would like or just give you the tools to attach the kayak to your car) and then put in your kayak in Cuter Harbor to explore the surrounding beaches and shoreline.

July 4th is a fun filled couple of days geared toward children, with get food, festivities and music. During a weekend in August, there is a lobster feed and the Blessing of the Fleet located in the center of the town, generally located on a wharf.

Walking to the working wharf to buy the catch of the day and take it back to your cottage for your own lobster feast.

Campobello, Roosevelt's Cottage, Whale watching tours and Quoddy Head are just 20 minutes away.

Fine dining at a local Inn is just 15 minutes away.

Biking the beautiful Sunrise trails are 15 minutes away as well.

6. Re: What to do around Cutler, Me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cutler
Recent Conversations