We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle

minneapolis, mn
1 post
Save Topic
Newcastle

We have 2 days in Newcastle in mid-June. We are active and art-loving. Any ideas? We are staying at The Flying Cloud which is about a 10-15 minute walk from Newcastle.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle

Actually, the inn's website is pretty informative and includes most things that we would suggest:

http://www.theflyingcloud.com/

I love the Damariscotta/Newcastle area and it shouldn't be too nutty in mid-June.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle

If you're serious about your art, check the website for the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland -- a bit of a drive up the road, but traffic in mid-June won't be that bad and it could make a nice part-day trip for you.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
802 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle

I think you meant to say you're a 10-15 minute walk from Damariscotta. Your inn is in Newcastle and there's really not much to "downtown" Newcastle.......except for an exceptional restaurant very close to you called the Newcastle Publik House. Make reservations as they are often very busy. But you can always hang out at the bar and grab a bite too. A fun, local crowd.

As for activitites, come down the Pemaquid penninsula. Lots of activities...walking, kayaking, boat tours.

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle

There are some super art galleries in Damariscotta. The innkeepers at The Flying Cloud are wonderful and will be able to give you an easy walking tour.

I also completely agree with the recommendation to book at The Publick House, they are always super busy (I LOVE their mussels).

Pemaquid Point is a must but take the time to drive around the peninsula - water, water everywhere and some cute villages and lobster pounds / co-ops. The old-style country store in Round Pond is a great place to stop.

As art lovers, make some time to go to The Farnsworth in Rockland. Because you're staying at the top of peninsula, it's an easy drive and can be combined with a trip to Camden.

I am seriously biased when it comes to loving this area and would be very happy to share some of my other favorites.

5. Re: Newcastle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Damariscotta