We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easport

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Easport

We have 6 days for a fall Maine coast trip starting in Ellsworth we plan to drive to Eastport and stay there 2 days and then Bar Harbor 2 days and one day in Belfast to explore the Blue hill peninsula a night in Brunswick and then back to Portland for the trip home. We especially are interested in lighthouses and national parks -- not shopping. Is 2 days in Eastport too long should we spend a night somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easport

I think 2 days in Eastport would be nice. You could easily visit Moosehorn Game Preserve or the International Park at Campobello from there. You can take the ferry from Eastport to Deer Island to Campobello or drive over to Lubec and then cross there. The ferry ride is neat and goes right by Old Sow which is the 2nd largest whirlpool in the world.

There are also sunset cruises which go around the harbor and would enable you to take pictures of East Quoddy Head Light...

What time of year are you going?

Eastport is a very walkable place and there are hiking trails out at Shackfords head that offer some really nice views of the islands in the bay.

Just be forewarned, other than the week of July 4th it is a pretty sleepy little town that offers the basics and not much more, like most of the towns in Downeast ME.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easport

We will be there in late September. We are hoping for a little color

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easport

Do you know where you will be staying in Eastport? Are you looking for a Motel or a B&B....

Late September is a good time, although it does cool off rapidly at night. If you can make it for the weekend after Labor Day they have a Salmon Festival which is popular. they also recently added a Pirate themed festival to go along with it. I believe this year it is 9/12 & 9/13.

While there be sure to check out the Rayes Mustard Mill as well, it is the last stone ground mill in the US and there mustard is excellent.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
5 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easport

We have not made reservations but are thinking of the East Motel based on the Trip Advisor reviews

5. Re: Easport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Eastport
More Eastport Topics