We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 1

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 1

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I live near Key West, Fl and want to see the north side of US 1. Is there any lodging, restaurants or bars in Ft. Kent? Thanks for your help.

Stan in Tavernier, Fl

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 1

Fort Kent is a college town, and there are what one would expect in that kind of town----basic, good lodging; decent places to eat; a couple of bars. I wouldn't exactly call it a "vacation destination", but you won't starve, have to sleep outside, or die of thirst!!!

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 1

Fort kent is a dinky little town. Less than 4000 people. The only motel is the northern door, but it is a dump. However it is right across the street fom the start/end of US Route 1 sign (depends on which side you are standing on.

Saying its a college town is really misleading. U Maine at Fort Kent is little more than a community college and makes little impact on the town.

maine
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 1

i can understand your desire to see the other end of route one....but i personally wouldn't want to stay in Fort Kent. There's lots of cottages and the like on nearby lakes you can rent out. Maybe you should consider heading south from Fort Kent on Route 11 and stay in Eagle Lake...or any of the other fish river chain of lakes in the area.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 1

If you don't want to stay in Fort Kent, consider the Overlook Motel in nearby Eagle Lake. See http://www.overlookmotel.com/ It is incredibly clean, and as the name suggests it has a nice view of the lake from the private balcony. My room had a tiny kitchen counter with sink, coffee maker, small microwave and little fridge.

I wouldn't call Fort Kent "dinky." It is small, but in a region that has struggled economically it's one of the more prosperous-looking towns. The downtown is very tidy with street lights and sidewalks and curbs. Plus, there is a small downhill ski area and new biathlon center. Not too shabby for a town of its size.

5. Re: Highway 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Fort Kent
Recent Conversations