We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning our trip

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
3 posts
Save Topic
Help planning our trip

Hi,

My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary the ist week in June and decided to spend it in Maine. We will fly into Portland and then travel north. Stopping in Freeport, Boothbay and Bar Harbor. I am having trouble trying to figure our how many days we should spend in each town. I'm not a fan of packing and moving every night. Looking at spending the last 1 or 2 nights down in Ogunqit and seeing that area. We want to do Inn's not B & B's. Any that are wonderful and would make this a special trip? Any help would be great. Everything can look so good on the internet. I want to hear from travelers that had great results. Thanks

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning our trip

I'd break it into staying in two places: Southern Maine (Ogunquit/Portland) and Downeast (Bar Harbor). Those two locations will give you the opportunity to explore the surrounding areas. There are lots and lots of lovely inns. Sounds like you've done some research, so have an idea of prices? What's your price range? That'll help with some specific recommendations.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning our trip

The distinction between an Inn and a B&B varies from state to state and area to area. If you are thinking of a B&B as staying in a room of someone's house, sharing their living room and dining room, that's not the way it is in Bar Harbor.

Many of the B&Bs in Bar Harbor are 100 year old mansions, decorated in Victorian style, with public rooms that are only for the guests. The owners of the B&Bs live in separate quarters from the rest of the Inn.

In Bar Harbor you might check out, for example, Saltair, which has four luxury rooms, right on the water on West Street. Or Clefstone Manor which has 16 rooms, varying in price.

If, however, you want to avoid B&Bs because you don't much care to interact with your fellow man over breakfast, then you could check out the Bar Harbor Inn or Harborside which are luxury, waterfront hotels.

There are many, many other choices in the area.

Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning our trip

Congrats on your aniiversary!

I have to second the post concerning what distinguishes a 'B&B' from an 'Inn'. Most B&B's along the coast are professionally run businesses, not a spare room.

If, however, you are dead set against them, I'd suggest the Harraseeket Inn in Freeport or the Captain Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport.

If you are flying into Portland, plan to spend one night in Freeport on your way north. It gives you a chance to get acclimated before the drive north (about 4 hours from the airport).

If you'd like to give a B&B a try, there is a great website that lists most of the B&B's in town...http://www.historicfreeportbedandbreakfasts.com/

Otherwise, the Harraseeket may be what you want...92 rooms, 2 restaurants, pool.

Enjoy!

Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help planning our trip

Thanks for the good info. I am thinking of mid west B&B's were most of the time you are in someones spare bedroom. Private bath is a must though. Hopefully we can stay under $200.00 a night. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, I love your help!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help planning our trip

I thought perhaps you were thinking of the spare bedroom Bed and Breakfast. Now that we have established that the B&Bs in Bar Harbor aren't like that and you've given us a price range, I can assure you that you can easily find a comfortable room with a private bath and a tasty breakfast for under $200. I'd recommend The Hearthside or Aysgarth Station which are two smaller B&Bs on quiet side streets in Bar Harbor. Anne's White Columns and The Cleftstone are two larger B&Bs in Bar Harbor. All have web pages and all have rooms for under $200. Each also has comments from guests here on trip advisor.

Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help planning our trip

The Cleftstone looks like the place for us in Bar Harbor. i looked up the Glenmoor By the Sea. It looks beautiful but to much of a resort feel for this trip. Any other suggestions for Camden. Also I would like to hear a little more about Camden and why it is so special. Is is worth going south for a few days or should we spend our week north. Thanks again!

Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help planning our trip

Camden is just a great little town, right on the Penobscot Bay. There are Windjammers that sail right through the harbor and it can be quite the sight!

We've stayed at Timbercliffe Cottage in Camden, great innkeepers, wonderful food and a fantastic view from their front porch (and 2 of the guest rooms) right over the bay.