We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days of eating in Freeport

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 days of eating in Freeport

Hi all. We will be in Freeport for the first time ever. We have 2 days of eating to plan. So far we have lobster rolls at the Harrasseeket Lobster House on our agenda. We see that they have homemade chocolate cream pie. We love a good one. Can anybody tell me if theirs is great or is another dessert better? Also, would love recommendations for dinner, seafood of course. Thanks for any tips you can pass on.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Broad Arrow Tavern (inside Harraseeket Inn) is my favorite. No rez but can call to be put on waiting list.

Avoid Lobster Cooker tourist trap.

For non-seafood, Buck's naked BBQ is surprisingly good; Gritty's brewpub.

Freeport, Maine
Level Contributor
30 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Our favorite is Azure Cafe (http://www.azurecafe.com). Great seafood (and other items as well), with outstanding sauces!

For dessert the tirimisu is fantastic (as is everything else).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Azure Cafe is our regular lunch stop in Freeport. Great food, outstanding service.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
934 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

I'm sure we're in the minority but we now boycott the Harrasseeket Lobster House because of the crazy long wait for food and lousy management. 3 years of bad experiences. They do, however, have good lobster. We like the Lobster Cooker for their fish sandwiches; usually eat lunch there. Breakfast is always at the Cafe at the Freeport Inn. We've always had good lobster rolls and soup at the Corsican. Also enjoyed Bucks Naked BBQ as well as Grittys. If you really want good lobster rolls with a terrific view drive down the coast a little way to the Lobster Shack at Two Lights on Cape Elizabeth. You eat right on the water and I think their lobster rolls are better than the Harrasseeket. Azure Cafe is also a must stop. Good food, good desserts and nice people.

Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Ditto on the rec of the Café at the Freeport Inn for breakfast.

I like the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster very much, but the lines can be insanely long. It's a good idea to get there early or late for a meal. We got there last week at 11:25am and had no wait at all. We never get the lobster roll at the Harraseeket. We get lobster, fried scallops, onion middles or rings and fried clams (in bread crumbs, not batter). In the decades we've been going there, I don't think we've ever once had room for dessert, so can't comment on the pie.

On Route One between 295 exits 17 and 20, be sure to get a frozen custard at Classic Custard.

There's a new café-style restaurant within the building that houses the parking structure downtown that I've heard good things about it, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet and I can't remember the name at the moment.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
934 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Oh I forgot about Classic Custard! I love Classic Custard. 3 day weekend up there in mid-June and I had a cone every day. Most definitely worth a stop.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

We like the Muddy Rudder in Yarmouth:

http://www.muddyrudder.com/fmh/ambience.html

Freeport, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

An often overlooked spot is Petrillos on Depot Street. They had a fab lobster over linguine the other night that we loved.

Conundrum, at the other end of town, is a great 'locals' spot with an extensive wine & drinks menu and eclectic dinner offerings.

You can check the flavor of the day at Classic Custard on the 'flavor menu' on their website.

If you are staying in Freeport, be sure to pick one of the B&B's where breakfast is included and is really a great option for lodging.

I'm partial to my place...www.whitecedarinn.com

Enjoy your trip!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

Toots Ice Cream is just a few miles away in Yarmouth out on 115.

www.tootsicecream.com

10. Re: 2 days of eating in Freeport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:17