We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather, dress, must see, and time

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
weather, dress, must see, and time

Will be arriving to Freeport/Durham KOA for a stay from Aug. 29-Sept. 4. First time to Maine. I'm wondering what to plan for as far as temperature is concerned for this time of year. Would like to see wildlife, land and sea. Villages and towns. Not into the shopping scene. Love good food in interesting venues. Scenic drives. Would appreciate information on places to see and places or things to avoid. Also, how long of a drive is it from Freeport to Bar Harbor? And, is it really worth the drive to Bar Harbor or is that just another touristy place? Thank you!-Robin

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

It's about a three hour drive from Freeport to Bar Harbor. It's not worth the drive. It's just another touristy place. However, Acadia National Park, near Bar Harbor is quite nice.

Weather in coastal Maine during that week will be in the 70s during the day. The 50s at night. Portland is just another city. The beach towns south of Portland (Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, York) are just touristy places -- even worse than Bar Harbor.

Perhaps someone kinder can tell you about scenic drives and good places to eat.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

There are plenty of experts on this forum that will give you excellent advice about where to go

My 2 cents worth is, never head out without your rain gear and layers and hat. Leave your fancy shoes back in Florida and wear only footwear that can (and most likely will) get wet. This is NOT the time for flipflops. You will also be happier if your footwear has strong gripping on the soles. Even in town the streets can get slippery. What can be a sloppy looking morning, turns into a fabulously sunny day, and just as quickly becomes a slog-fest. Not that I'm a member of the Boy Scouts, but their motto is dead-on accurate. Be Preparred. Have the jacket, the bug protection, the sunscreen and.....

Hydrate, Hydrate Hydrate!!!!!

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

Thank you.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

Ironically, Freeport is sort of known for its shopping - especially the L.L. Bean stores and outlet. :-)

Anyway - easy coastal drives from your location include Boothbay Harbor and Bath to the north, Portland, Oqunquit and Kennbunkport to the south. I don't think that Portland is just another city, and there's a reason people enjoy the southern beach towns - the beach!

Temperatures could range from the 60's through the 80's during the day.

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

Thank you. I do intend to go to LL Bean. I consider that an adventure more than shopping. I know freeport is known for outlet shopping and that's what I meant by shopping scene. Small unique to Maine shops and products, I am interested in. Looking for great food and drink venues up and down the coast as well. Thank you again.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

An easy day trip from Freeport to Gray, ME could satisify some of your desire to see wildlife.... The Maine Wildlife Park, operated by the Maine Department of Inland Fish and Wildlife is home to over thirty species of animals native to Maine. Most of the park residents came there injured or abandoned by their mothers and could not survive in the wild, but do very well in the re-creations of their natural habitats that the park provides. Think about moose, bear, deer, raccoons, bobcat, lynx, etc. etc. -- they're all there in a nice parklike setting that can be a great place to visit on an easy day trip. We try to go for a visit at least a couple of times every year....

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

This is an unusual recommendation, but there is a fabulous bakery called When Pigs Fly in Freeport that has fresh, crunchy, yummy bread. My favorite is the harvest bread with all kinds of fruit and nuts in it, fabulous for camping with peanut butter and any kind of jam. They send their bread as far south as Boston, BUT the best bread I think is the one in Freeport. Get the tourist map with all the shops drawn in a cartoon style, and you can decide what else you would like to shop in and around Freeport - unbelievable sales around the end of August! I love LLBean. They have some activities like kayaking from their main store there so go on line and check them out. They are the best outfitters in New England, open 24 hours a day!!

Saint Cloud, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

Thank you. I've also been looking at whale watch tours and harbor cruises. Any recommedations here? Can you see seals from the water taxis or from shore? Best deals? Thanks.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 10:39
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

Not aware of any "water taxis" in Freeport..... so am not sure where you're referring to with your question about seals.... Nearest whale watches to Freeport, that I'm aware of, would sail out of Portland or Boothbay Harbor.....have seen ads for both but haven't taken either one recently enough to give worthwhile advice...

10. Re: weather, dress, must see, and time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 17:15