We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

We will be in Maine this summer and are debating Freeport. I like LL Bean clothes, but I'm not sure I see the advantage to going to the store over just shopping online.

Are things cheaper in the store?

Better selection in the store?

Maine
Level Contributor
888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

Things are not cheaper in the store than the catalogue/online. There are a lot more items in the store though. There is also the outlet store which carries overstocks/discontinued/returned items at reduced prices.

If it's convenient it's worth a stop. It's 4 stores: Main store, Hunting/Fishing store, Home store, Bike and Ski store plus the outlet store. More than 200,000 square ft of retail space.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

We do flagship store, catalog and outlet store shopping.... Biggest advantage of stopping in Freeport is the ability to make instant comparisons between items (two similar shoe styles, similar jackets, whatever), actually try things on, and see new colors or varieties of items before the make the catalog (if they get there -- as soxfan notes, lots more items in the store than space allows in the catalogs.

Big secondary advantage (sometimes) is the ability to check out Outlet Store for some real savings on some merchandise.... in our experience, it can be hit-or-miss by individual. Sometimes one of us finds several items at great prices while the other one comes out empty-handed; next trip, it's the other way around.... Very difficult to predict Outlet Store stock, but good discounts if you're looking for something they have the day you're there.

Final advantage is simply the "experience" of shopping the flagship store -- pools of live Maine-species fish; interesting displays; great taxidermy of some Maine species.... just a great store for folks who appreciate the outdoors.

But, like many other Maine attractions, it's not for everyone.... if you're happy shopping the catalog, it may or may not be for you....

Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

Freeport is a great place. We ate lunch at Linda Bean's restaraunt and had the most fabulous grilled cheese and lobster sandwich . I can't wait to go back just for that

Avon, Connecticut
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

Freeport is a worthy destination if you are visiting Maine, even if you don't buy anything. It is only a short ride north of Portland. Although merchandise is not cheaper in the store than they are in the catalogues their Freeport stores are attractions in their own right.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

I'm not much for shopping and prefer to buy online rather than in physical stores. However, if I am anywhere near Freeport, I will almost always stop at LL Bean. It's a unique experience. I often skip the outlet store, but when I do go, I sometimes find good deals (and often not, as noted above).

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

I think another advantage to shopping in the store is the chance to talk with their knowledgeable associates, especially in the outdoor departments. Depending on when you are there, there are also chances to try various items. For instance, this weekend they are hosting a Winter Carnival where you can demo different skis and snowshoes.

As noted already, the outlet can be hit or miss, but I've gotten great deals there in the past and have sometimes scored samples for proposed products.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

Very true about their expert knowledge. If it hadn't been for a good LLBean salesman, we would have bought the wrong winter clothing when we first moved to Maine. He asked what activities we planned and steered us away from things that would have been way too warm for hiking in Acadia.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

We always stop in Freeport and the LLBean store. Nice to try on for size, see the merchandise in person. My husband does not like to shop, but when we go to Freeport, he ejnoys it as everything is in a few block area.

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Pound has our favorite Lobster Roll in the State. Opened May to Oct.

harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/photos.html

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

There are LLBEAN retail stores in Massachusetts

The state has no sales tax on clothing

so any clothing will be cheaper

see their web-site for details / locations

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the LLBean store better/cheaper than the catalogue?

The LL Bean retail stores in Massachusetts are very nice, but they are small in comparison to the Freeport store and offer a much more limited selection (though the sales people are happy to answer questions about other items and order them). It's really not the same experience. Anyway, the OP will be in ME not MA.