We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in short time

Which Kennebunk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in short time

We are visiting family in Kennebec at the end of this week and I am looking for suggestions of a few great things to do in the area. The area can be anywhere from Kittery to Freeport. We are traveling with our adventurous 9 and 13 year old, both of whom are great eaters. I would appreciate casual dining suggestions with great local food, and other must-see attractions. We are not big shoppers, though, so that's not a highlight for us.

Thanks for any and all of your help.

Mainer
Level Contributor
100 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in short time

Did you mean Kennebunk? Kennebec is a different area altogether. Assuming you mean Kennebunk, I suggest trying LLBean "walk on" discovery adventure". You can sign up at the store to go kayaking, skeet shooting, fly fishing, etc . Here's the awesome thing, it was$15/person and they give you EVERYTHING you need. We did kayaking -- they had a van bring us to river, gave us shoes, kayak, paddles, life preservers -- even had rain jackets, bug spray, and sun block!! They give you a quick lesson (on dry land), then you hike a short distance to river (kayaks are already there), and then go kayaking on river with guides. There are double and single kayaks, kids have to be at least 8 -- fo you're in! The whole thing took about 2 - 21/2hrs and was great fun. Think it's a great thing to do w/kids. They have schedule at their website of times, activities, etc.

For lunch, may want to try Harrasekeet (sp?) lunch down on harbor in Freeport. In Kennebunk, Allisons and Federal Jacks are casual and less expensive than more upscale restaurants. See my post under chowhound.com website, under Hidden Gem in Wells, for place to eat in Wells

Other option is to take a ferry out of Portland and go to one of the islands that rent bikes and tour the island (Peaks Island is great for this). Peaks also has several casual restaurants that overlook the ocean, try the Cockeyed Gull, or the restaurant (can't remember name) that is right above the ferry dock.

Enjoy!!

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in short time

I DID mean Kennebunk. Thank you. So you mean right from LL Bean in Freeport we can do that? That sounds Awesome. Can't wait to check it out.

Everything you suggest sounds great. Perfect. Just what I was looking for.

Maine
Level Contributor
274 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in short time

If you are hikers or nature lovers, check out the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge, in Wells.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/rachelcarson/

Mainer
Level Contributor
100 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in short time

Yes, you go right from LL Bean store in Freeport -- enter right by the big LLBean Boot - can't miss it.

Also both places I mentioned -- Laudholm Farms and Wells reserve are part of the Rachel Carson preserve mentioned by other poster. Let us know how your trip goes!

Mainer
Level Contributor
100 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in short time

OOPS, sorry, I actually posted elsewhere about Laudholm Farms and Wells Reserve. Ive been trying to copy and paste below, remember directions I give are for somebody coming up from Kittery area. The Wells Reserve and Laudholm Farms are only minutes south of Kennebunk.

There are a couple of nice walks in Ogunquit/Kennebunk/Wells area. One is Marginal Way, which is right in Perkins Cove. It is walkway along ocean, with benches in various spots, and spectacular views. I did hear it was damaged in the big storm we had in April, but think part if not all would be accessible. Further up Rte 1 north, their is Laudholm Farm, which is part of Wells Reserve, which has great walk through farm and wooded area, down to small beach. It is beautiful, think they have started charging for parking tho. It is on the right, as you head north out of Ogunquit on Rte 1, think name of street is something like Laudholm Farm Dr (could google Laudholm Farm, must have website). Then even further up Rt 1 north as you pass Maine Diner (good but will be HUGE lines in summer), take the next right onto Rt 9 and look for sign for Wells Reserve - no charge to park, and probably fewer tourists than other 2 sites, there is a nature path which is by the marshland, very easy, quite flat. Not sure the distance, think its probably only about 1 or 1.5 miles to walk the whole "loop". Both Laudholm and Wells Reserve are easy, flat walks with woods and some open areas. Marginal Way does have some small (but easy) hills and is likely to be pretty crowded.

If you do come this way for Laudholm Farm or Wells Reserve, there is a great restaurant for breakfast (and probably lunch, but I've only done breakfast) called Merriland Farms. Take the left before the Maine diner, think shop on corner is a lighthouse type place, think name of street is Cole Rd. Go up there about a mile, you'll see a little golf course on your right, restaurant is right beyond that, has a great patio you can sit outside in good weather. They are also a berry farm, so french toast, muffins, pancakes, etc are all available with blueberries, rasp, and/or strawberries. Go to chowhound.com and under board for New England restaurants check out my review entitled "Hidden Gem in Wells" -- hope I don't regret telling so many people about it!!

Winter Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in short time

I posted this on another thread for people asking about activities for kids. I recommend it to you, too.

(In YARMOUTH Maine, easy drive from Kennebunk)

While in the Portland area or on your way toward Bar Harbor, your son might enjoy a stop to see Eartha, the "World’s Largest Revolving and Rotating Globe" (and browse the map-related adgets and other inventory in the company store) at the DeLorme map company headquarters in Yarmouth. Our grandsons age 5 and 15 loved it. I loved it!

http://www.delorme.com/about/eartha.aspx

From Portland:

1. Traveling North- or Southbound on the Maine Turnpike/I-95

2. Take Exit 52 [Exit 9 on older maps] for the Falmouth spur to I-295 North.

3. Take Exit 17 off of I-295.

4. DeLorme is immediately on the right, just off the ramp.

7. Re: Things to do in short time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Kennebunk