We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting route from Boston

London
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Interesting route from Boston

We are coming to Kennebunkport Fri, July 6. I'd like to take the scenic/costal route there. Any suggestions? Any ideas of what traffic will be like going back to Boston airport on Sunday. Our flight leaves at 8:10. pm.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting route from Boston

Here's an idea. From Rte 95N, take the exit for Rte 101E which is immediately before the Hampton Toll Plaza in Hampton, NH. That will take you over to Rte 1A, which is the shore road. Take Rte 1A all the way to Portsmouth. It's a beautiful ride along the ocean. If you happen to see the sign for Rte 1B, take that road. It's a loop through New Castle, which is also along the water. It will bring you into downtown Portsmouth. This is a nice place to stop and walk around, visit shops or the Strawberry Banke area, and walk through Prescott Park.

Normally it would be easy to continue up 1A to Kittery, but one of the three bridges connecting NH to ME is being replaced and is out of commission. You'll need to drive through Portsmouth proper to get to the Rte 1 bridge. This will take you through Kittery where you may want to stop for a bit of shopping at the outlet stores. If not, you can continue up Rte 1 all the way to Kennebunkport stopping anywhere along the way that piques your curiosity. You might enjoy the antique shops in Wells, for example.

Traffic going back toward Boston on a Sunday can be daunting. I'd suggest getting an early start. You need to be at the airport by 5, and that's not taking into consideration that you may have to return a rental car. I'd be on the road no later than 2:30 or so.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 17:44
London
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting route from Boston

Happy - thank you so much. Especially the info about the bridge being out. This is a bucket list trip for us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting route from Boston

Heading back to Logan, you could stop along the coast somewhere, maybe Marblehead, not too far from Logan. Then you could have an early dinner, late lunch and not have to worry about too much drive ahead of you. Kennebunkport to Marblehead will take you about 2 hours, Marblehead to Logan airport about 40 minutes.

4. Re: Interesting route from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:45