We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Which Kittery hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
6 posts
Save Topic
The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

I have never been to Maine before and that is where I'll be going in July or August of this year. Every time I think I have decided on where to go, I change my mind. Any input would be appreciated!

11 replies to this topic
Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
778 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

What do you like to do and see?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Agree with sailorgirl - you'll get one kind of answer if you're looking for the sand beaches people envision in other parts of the country -- and a totally different list of suggestions if you just want to be at-the-shore and can be happy with beaches of small, very smooth gravel or even ocean-ground seashells. Knowing more about what you hope to see and do while you're here will also help narrow things down. Also would be a huge help to know how much time you have and how you plan to get here -- suggestions if you're going to drive and have limited time will be vastly different than if you plan to fly up and have a week or more to see the State.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Come to Acadia. It's so special that it's been preserved forever as a National Park.

Pittsburgh...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Staying for a week and its about an 11 hour drive. I'm used to the sandy beaches of Florida and we chose Maine for something different, but still want to be by the ocean. Really open to anything.

Boston...
Level Contributor
901 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

The rocky Maine coastline of Mid-Coast Maine or Acadia might be a good start. Please check out the Mid-Coast towns like Rockland or Camden and of course, Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park. Since you are planning a week, I would stay couple of days in Rockland/Camden and then remaining days in Acadia National park.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Not sure if you plan to make the drive in one long day or spread it out over two, but I'd try to include:

-- stops at The Nubble Lighthouse in York and York Beach either coming north or heading home

-- mid-coast visit to Camden and Rockland (harbor towns -- no real beaches, but a nice feel for Maine) -- maybe spend an afternoon after driving up from the south and the following morning before heading on to Bar Harbor

-- Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor -- would try for at least two full days - three nights -- be sure to include Sand Beach in Acadia National Park

-- and maybe an overnight in Portland on your way south... will give you a nice taste of Maine...

Or, if you really, really want to see a Maine sand beach, drop some time in the mid-coast or Bar Harbor and check out either Reid State Park or Popham Beach... both will require a bit of a drive down a peninsula off Rt 1, and the same drive back when you're ready to leave, but both offer long, wide expanses of sand on the Atlantic Ocean. We're not real "beach lovers" ourselves so can't help you evaluate whether to doo one of these beaches or spend more time in non-beach areas -- will leave that decision to you.

New England
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Boothbay Harbor is a cute coastal town too. but is a ways off the main route.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,693 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

newenglander6 -- The title of their post suggests they're looking for "beaches" -- can't think of any good ones very close to Boothbay Harbor -- have I missed something in all my years of going there?

Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Acadia is nice for a drive by.... I say that because it's a tourist trap. Don't go as far up North and Bar Harbor instead stay down in the area from Kittery to Kennebunkport. The people are always kind and the small town feeling is everywhere. I have traveled all over Maine and find myself as well as our family always wanting to stay in Wells. The beaches are great for surfing, swimming, and tanning. Not over come with people just right. The water isn't as warm as Florida's put it's still fun. The resturants are amazing and the prices are not off the charts.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?

Wow, you had to go back a full year to find a question that you could use to slam a National Park that was just voted number one in a USA Today survey. A drive-by?!

Reply to: The Maine Beaches- where should I plan a vacation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kittery
More Kittery Topics