We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving roads and conditions...

sherbrooke, quebec
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
driving roads and conditions...

We are planning a trip to atlantic Canada in July from Sherbrooke Quebec with our tent trailer. Our first stop will be Saint Johns, NB.

When I look at mapquest for the quickest route, it give me a route through northern Maine. My concern is what are the roads like. ME 27/ME16... It seems to be running through a lot of forest/country areas. Are there service stations/facilities/reststops en route? are the roads in good condition? Narrow/windy/up and down hill? or would we be better off taking a longer, well travelled route?

we will also be travelling with two children

Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke
Quebec, Canada
St. John's
St. John's
Newfoundland, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
1 reply
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving roads and conditions...

We did that route from Montreal to Bar Harbor two years ago. It was fine. You are right that it isn't very populated. But there are enough small towns to provide services. You might want to be sure your cross the USA border at Coburn Gore with enough fuel to get you to Skowhegan, which shouldn't be a problem. Skowhegan has all the various shops and services you might need.

I don't remember the road being all that curvy or hilly. It was well paved and marked. In fact, I remember highway 27 as being rather scenic and pleasant, even though were were horribly jet-lagged and were driving because we gave up on flying after our plane was turned around from NYC and flown back to Montreal the night before. We didn't even have any trouble explaining to the border patrol why we were driving a rental car, licensed in Quebec, and going home to Bar Harbor. She smiled, welcomed us home, and gave us a little print-out on how to get from Coburn Gore to Bangor, where our car was at the airport. Long story, but with a good ending.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Reply to: driving roads and conditions...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madison