We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin Lakes, NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

I recently stayed one night with a friend in Orgunquit. It was last minute and were lucky to get a room (Not at a choice Inn). We enjoyed our stay night and day in Orgunquit but now want to return with the husbands and kids. There seems to be surfing in both towns. What spot has the better option for families, i.e., shopping, beach, convenience.

Thank you!!

Franklin Lakes, NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

Oops! I mean, Ogunquit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

York is the first town when you come from South and it has the one of the longest continuous stretch of beach in Southern Maine-about 2 Miles. There are many vacation home rentals & some hotels right on Rt-1A on York Beach. You are literally a door step away if you get anything on this stretch of the beach. It has a small town center with shops and a small zoo(I have never visited it).

Ogunquit is the next town to York and has the most B&B's & Hotels in the southern Maine area. There are also many restaurant options.

In my personal opinion, Rt-1A in York has best beach access, but Ogunquit is more charming & beautiful.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

I have exact same question -- want to take 3 kids up for a few nights and was told York less crowded but Ogunquit more "happening" -- what have you learned -- we need to go up to get one kid from camp in Maine on Aug 8th and need quick decision.

Franklin Lakes, NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

Same here! I pick up from camp in NH on the 8th. I did stay in Ogunquit on the way home from camp drop off. I was with another mother and we had a ball! I drove by York Beach on the way home but failed to investigate it further. All in all, I have booked to stay in York Beach cause I was told that it is best with kids (Beach, surf camp/lessons, zoo and some shops). I figured that I would just head to Ogunquit to dine and shop with the family at night. It is also a known fact that Ogunquit is a gay sort of village. This was also my observation but it was never offensive in any way. I figured York Beach for the family. Good luck. Contact me if you have anymore ?'s.

Cynthia

Franklin Lakes, NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

Thanks for your reply! I was told the very same thing by the Inn Keeper in York Beach but he felt that Y.B. would be the best bet for kids. I like Ogunquit whole lot when I stayed there this week. What a happening little place! Everyone was extremely friendly.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

We have been going to Ogunquit for many years. We started when my daughters were very young and they still insist on coming with us even thought they are in their 20's. Ogunquit is much more charming then York. Although York Beach may be longer, Ogunquit beach is much more beautiful. My kids loved to walk into town in Ogunquit at night to get ice cream or just to look in the stores and to walk along the Marginal Way. They also loved the trolley. We would just get on the trolley at night and take a round trip through town and along the beach. My 26 year old insisted on a round trip trolley ride this summer. We could drive up the road toward Wells to miniature golf or to the movies. We would take trips down to York. The small commerical area is not as nice as Ogunquit but a stop at GoldenRod Kisses was a must. They also enjoyed the arcade in York where we spent much money to win a pencil or wax teeth, but always got a great smile. As for Ogunquit being gay friendly, that was never an issue for our family. Why would it be. Ogunquit is friendly to everyone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
872 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

By the way, I forgot to mention that York has a big arcade for the kids.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

As a kid, and now with kids, I have always loved Ogunquit. There is so much to do just on the beach. Nowhere else can you spend hours floating down the river. Sand castles on the steep riverbank have a majesty lent by the terrain. Then there's investigating tide pools, crossing the river, also walking along the beach, over the dunes, and back in the peace alongside the river. The extensive sandflats give kids a (safe) independence at a distance from adults, but within clear sight, I've not found elsewhere, good also for playing basebball or croquet or flying kites. Little kids like the warm pools left in the sand (where adults can also laze on an air mattress reading a book) and older kids like to use their boards in the shallows. The Marginal Way is a beautiful walk. After that, all that's needed is an ice cream and a ride on the trolley and they're ready for bed. Can't be beat anywhere in the world.

9. Re: Stay in Orgunquit or York Beach with the kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:18