We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Summer Vacation?

terpfan4u
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family Summer Vacation?

Hi,

I’ve started my search for a summer family vacation destination. This year will be a little different because we will be traveling with a new baby (1-2 months old) along with 2 other elementary aged kids. Therefore, we need a mix of entertainment and activities this summer. While, we will have to accommodate for an infant but also need activities for the older kids as well. I’m interested in getting some feed back to see if you would recommend Ogunquit to us and if so, what type of accommodations and activities do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Summer Vacation?

Ogunquit would be a fine place to stay. Southern Maine has lots of beaches, including in Ogunquit, and that in itself should keep the kids busy. Additionally in Ogunquit there is the walk along Marginal Way which is absolutely beautiful and that I loved when I was a kid...,.we did it every day. Kids also like to just ride the trolleys around. There is mini-golf and such in nearby Wells. Additionally York isn't terribly far and York has a zoo, an amusement park type place, etc.

There are all different typs of accommodations, including cottage rentals and condo which might suit for a family. There are also plenty of family-friendly motels.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Summer Vacation?

You may want to consider renting a cottage or condo on Moody beach, the north end of Ogunquit beach. Local realtors in Wells/Ogunquit area have lots of options or you could look here under vacation rentals. The beach would provide hours of fun for the children and there is mini golf nearby as well.

Good luck and do start now, because places fill up quickly!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Summer Vacation?

I would recommend renting a cottage. Most of the ones in Wells rent for about $1000 a week in summer. Ogunquit is just a short drive away from Wells. I have never found cottages to rent right in Ogunquit but they have many motels.

I prefer the cottage as you have more space and can cook your meals. Most also have BBQs to cook on. Many of them have a swimming pool area which is nice to come back to after a day at the beach. Our kids would always meet other kids there too.

Ogunquit has a long sandy beach, but we usually also visit Wells Beach for a change. It is a bit more rocky and there are lots of crabs to be found. I'm sure your kids will love it!

Edited: 04 March 2010, 00:22
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Summer Vacation?

Terpfan, I can see that you are considering several destinations. It warms my heart as they are all the places I grew up-----Lake George a bit less than Cape Cod and Maine, but I loved Lake George also.

I think ultimately it depends on the type of experience you are looking for, and also about where there may be more or fewer crowds.

If I can just say something about Maine though------I grew up in Great Britain with summers spent as mentioned-----Maine, Cape Cod, and a bit of the Adirondacks. Though today I own homes in Raiatea, Paris, Antigua, and Maine, Maine is my primary residence and I think that speaks volumes.

It is uniquely beautiful here, and with all due respect to my Cape Cod cousins, visitors to Maine always speak of how great the people here are.

5. Re: Family Summer Vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations