We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded in August?

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
57 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
How crowded in August?

I live in New Jersey, how bad would be the drive? How about the area, restaurants, beaches? Does one avoid during the height of the summer? It would be just the wife and I.

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How crowded in August?

HOW CROWDED? Read the April 9 post for Boothbay Harbor.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How crowded in August?

Dreameyes, I must be missing something. I didn't see a April 9 post on Boothbay harbor that would answer eonny's question.

I am assuming that like other parts of coastal Maine, the summer is high season with lots of other eager folks who want to see the beauty of the area? That perhaps the traffic on Route 1 could be lined up and definitely they should make reservations ahead of time but come enjoy what Maine has to offer?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
57 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How crowded in August?

I also didn't see a 9 Apr for Boothbay....

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How crowded in August?

Being a year round resident of Beautiful Ogunquit Maine the answer to your question is YES it is busy and crowed. August being the busies of the summer months.But please don't let that stop you from coming and enjoying Oginquit Maine . We have a lot to offer with the 3 miles of sandy beach , the 1.7 mile Marginal Way along the coast , The Ogunquit Playhouse , Gallery and Museums etc. We are also a walking town so unless you want to leave Ogunquit there really is no need to get back into your car to drive once you get here . Just relax and enjoy what Ogunquit has to offer. We have many fine Restaurants to choose from depending on what you are looking for.We have it all and its within a easy walk to everything. Come and enjoy what we have to offer and unwind and relax by "The Beautiful Place By The Sea . Enjoy !

Port Allegany, PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How crowded in August?

My mistake. It was April 11. My eyes are getting old!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How crowded in August?

The worse part of your drive will be through NYC. Yes, there is slow traffic on Rt 1 going through the town during the day, but if you plan your stay to settle within the town, you will be within walking distance of everything other than the out skirt restaurants. Mid week will have slightly less congested traffic patterns.

Don't let traffic stop you..Ogunquit is totally worth the trek!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How crowded in August?

And if you can, Bring your Bikes.

We don't leave home without them.

Regards

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How crowded in August?

Just know ahead of time that you may be in heavy traffic, depending on what day you go and the weather....on nice days on weekends, it's not only people staying there that are driving in but also the added day trippers from other parts of New England.

Also, know that if you do not or cannot make dinner reservations (a few places don't take them)...you will likely need to wait to be seated, so plan accordingly.

Walking some of the streets can be a bit slow due to all the people and the baby SUV's.

Maine is very busy all through the summer because it has so much to offer. Ogunquit is worth the minor inconveniences though. It is so beautiful and such a nice place to spend a vacation.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How crowded in August?

Definitely crowded, especially on a fine, hot, sunny summer weekend day, but DEFINITELY worth it, the only U.S. beach I think equal to those I find in Brazil. I've been going to Ogunquit since childhood and lazily floating the river as the tide goes out is not to be equaled anywhere. You can always find a bit of peace and solitude on the extensive sand flats that open at low tide, and in other places along the shore. The trolley is a good and fun option to get around on the longer distances. If you are staying in the village, you can avoid the traffic that backs up sometimes at the intersection in the center. Happy travels.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How crowded in August?

It doesn't matter when you go. All you have to do is walk five minutes from either end of the beach and you can find an area of solitude. All the crowds gather at either end. Since Ogunquit is very walker friendly, we can walk to the beach, into town, along the marginal way and to Perkins Cove without concern for the crowds. At night, its great people watching as everyone is wondering around, to the shops , coffee shops and ice cream parlors. The only real problem is the restaurants. You can usually resolve this by eating early or just relaxing while you wait for a table. Another solution is to do a little research and leave Ogunquit for dinners.