We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sharon...
9 posts
Save Topic
Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

My two oldest friends and I are getting together for relaxation and a bit of fun (three fourty-four year old women with young kids and husbands at home). We can drive approximately 1 1/2 - 2 hours and be in Portsmouth NH or drive 2 - 2 1/2 hours and be in Ogunquit. Is Ogunquit worth the extra drive??? One of the women does not like driving to much especially to places she doesn't know. She lives in Queeche VT. Thanks for your help/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Am not intimately familiar with either destination but have been to and through both occasionally from time to time. Seems to me that you have to decide if you want to be in a small city with more restaurants and places for nightlife but less access to the water and waterfront area, or in a smaller, village-like setting with better access to water and waterfront and still a good selection of restaurants and watering holes, but less extensive than Portsmouth might have to offer. Need to better define what kind of trip you're looking for and that should help you make your decision.....

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Personally I'd stay in Ogunquit and make a day trip back to Portsmouth. I've been to Portsmouth several time, however I don't think there is enough to hold your interest that can't be done in a day. I think their is better shopping & scenery in Ogunquit along with the beach & restaurants. If your friend can get to Portsmouth, perhaps you can arrange to meet there and have her follow you. It is pretty direct from Portsmouth to Ogunquit.

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Ogunquit with no traffic is only about a 20 minutes from Portsmouth, NH. I would personally choose Ogunquit. As said previously I think most of what Portsmouth has to offer can be done in one day while Ogunquit has more restaurants that are worth going to as well as one of the most beautiful beaches in the Country (it was actually just rated one of the more beautiful beaches in the country). While there are some decent places to stay in Portsmouth Ogunquit is much more beautiful particularly places with ocean views that are easy to walk to all that town has to offer (such as the Beachmere Inn, the Anchorage, the Sparhawk, the Sea Chambers, and the Terrace by the Sea.

Maine
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

I think you'd enjoy Ogunquit more, Portsmouth is great to walk around for a few hours but there's definately more to do in Ogunquit. Tons of little shops, restaurants, Marginal Way, the beach, Perkins Cove, the Ogunquit Playhouse.....You can walk to most things or hop on a trolley. If your heading in at a busy time (when everyone's coming off the beaches or especially weekend nights, you could always turn onto 1A in York, follow it down to Shore Rd and take the scenic route into town. You'll still hit traffic right in town but will cut out most of Route One.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Correct to assume you are talking about this summer? Definitely, go with Ogunquit. You can sit on the beach, walk the Marginal Way, go in and out of the stores in the center of town, drive up to Kennebunkport, and hit Kittery for outlet shopping.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

Ogunquit if you are looking for beach time...Portsmouth if you are looking for nightlife.

Both have excellent restaurants, advantage to Portsmouth regarding shopping and nightlife.

MA
Level Contributor
163 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

We love both places. We actually alternate where we go year to year. There is a lot to do in Portsmouth plus more night life as someone said. Lots of restaurants and shops but no close beaches. Maine outlets are between Portsmouth and Ogunquit. If you are interested in beaches, Ogunquit is the place to go.

8. Re: Ogunquit ME or Portsmouth NH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 05:17