We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

Just got back from a wonderful weekend in Ogunquit. Perfect weather, excellent food and good times. This is one of our favorite places, just one question. While walking the Marginal Way we noticed all these piles of rocks on top of the cliffs. All different configurations some little some very large but all put there by people. Does anyone know the meaning behing this we are very curious?

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
403 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

We were there last week and we also noticed how many there were! We saw some teens building them last year, but they were no where near as high or as many as we saw last week. I think it's some kind of Zen meditation tool, but perhaps the kids were building them just because they are fun to do and fun to look at. Maybe some other posters have a better answer than I do. (Hope you're having an easier time readjusting to real life than we are...Ogunquit is such a beautiful place)

Suffield...
Level Contributor
15 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

Thank you for the response that could be a possiblility, and I feel the same way you do. Did not want to come home we love it up there.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

I've seen the same things in a number of places besides the Marginal Way. At first, I thought it was some teenage, goth, angst ridden vampire, twilight kind of thing. Then I noticed there seemed to be too many of them in varied locations.

I think it is just some fad that is supposed to get people wondering and talking.

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
338 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

There's no hidden message to the rock configurations. It's just something that's been done there for several years now. The last time we were there my daughter and I did the same thing. Sort of like a game.....how high can you go and how creative can you be. Some people like to participate and some like to watch. Try it next time you go......it's addictive.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

I kind of liked thinking it was some sort of occult or pagan or ancient native american thing.....disappointed to know it's some childs game.

I've also seen similat things set up in wooded areas when I go hiking.....it's really creepy looking when it's done with tree branches and rocks in the woods.

PA
Level Contributor
799 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

Could some of them be cairns? We have seen many of these trail markers on various hikes. We saw some in Acadia. Here is a link.

nps.gov/archive/…Cairns2.pdf

Boston
Level Contributor
24,440 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

I believe it has something to do with meditation as one poster said.

Picture of the formations.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

Personally, I'll be happy when the winter tides break them down. There are too many so it feels like human disturbance of nature to me ...

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
338 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

This is a funny post. It seems like everyone wants it to be something different. Sometimes things are just what they are...simple and boring. But fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is with the rock formations along the Marginal Way?

"Sometimes things are just what they are...simple and boring. But fun."

The ones I see in the woods, I believe them to be creepy symbols of demons and witches and that's what I want to believe. :-)

It makes hiking a little more fun