We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

Arizona
Level Contributor
122 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

Hubby and I have booked a weekend getaway in Ogunquit for the weekend of our anniversary, which is in early June. We were thinking of heading up to the area in the morning, although we can't check-in until after 2pm, to maybe explore some other areas of the coast before we settle in.

We'll be driving up from Massachusetts, so if I remember correctly, it's about an hour to and 1.5 hours to get to Ogunquit. My husband has only been to Maine once and that was when we did a day trip to Ogunquit, so we're looking to see something else.

Any suggestions on where else we might want to drive before settling in Ogunquit? I'm thinking probably around an hours drive from there at most. We had thought of heading to Portland for a Sea Dogs game, but they are on the road that weekend. What should we see/do while we are in the area with several hours to spare? I was thinking of heading North along the coast. What would be your top suggestions?

Thank you for any tips.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

It's about 80 miles/1.5 hours from Boston to Ogunquit. You could stop to look around in Newburyport, stop for lunch and a look around in Portsmouth, do some shopping at the outlets in Kittery, or go take photos at Nubble Light in York, an iconic new England lighthouse. They're all on the way.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,559 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

You can also check out kennbunkport, fairly close to Ogunquit.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

I don't know if you plan to spend time on the beach. Even though you arrive early, some establishments will let you change on the premises and leave your car. Depending on where you are staying you can walk to the beach or take the trolley.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

Both Portsmouth, which is on your way up to Maine, and Portland, which will take you an additional half hour or so, are great towns to walk around and spend an afternoon. Both also have great dining options, many overlooking the water. If you only have a few hours to kill, I'd recommend stopping in Portsmouth for the morning. But if you want to do some further exploring on your trip, drive up to Portland for sunset and grab an amazing dinner at Fore Street (you'll need reservations!).

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

Both Portsmouth, which is on your way up to Maine, and Portland, which will take you an additional half hour or so, are great towns to walk around and spend an afternoon. Both also have great dining options, many overlooking the water. If you only have a few hours to kill, I'd recommend stopping in Portsmouth for the morning. But if you want to do some further exploring on your trip, drive up to Portland for sunset and grab an amazing dinner at Fore Street (you'll need reservations!).

Have fun!

New England
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

There is a beautiful drive from York to Ogunquit- the shore road to Ogunquit. York also has some cute shops and two nice beaches.

Arizona
Level Contributor
122 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

Thank you for all the replies. A friend suggested driving up to Kennebunkport.

I have been thinking of driving north of Ogunquit in the morning because we could do all the southern stops (York, Kittery, Portsmouth) on the way back home from our trip.

8. Re: Things to do - June - w/in Driving Distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations