We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Which Ogunquit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
187 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

This will be my first trip to Maine and I will be driving from Philly the 2nd weekend in July for my 34th birthday!!

I just need to get away from dirty philly and can't wait to enjoy Maine lobster!

I would love hotel suggestions...don't need a pool, I prefer not seeing a bunch of kids, on-site parking, relatively quiet/nice views and affordable..up to $200.00 a night.

Thank you in advance!!! I love TA!!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Since your staying in Perkins Cove do try Footbridge Lobster and the Lobster Shack, Footbridge is just a stand no tables, take your food and go over to the benches overlooking the ocean or sit at the benches overlooking the Lobster Fleet, great Lobster rolls, Lobster Shack, nothing fancy, you can sit inside no real view but the Lobster prices are great.

Reviews of Footbridge and Lobster Shack

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g40790-d38…

www.yelp.com/biz/footbridge-lobster-ogunquit

A few other places in Perkins Cove that I would also recommend, for Higher prices but beautiful views try MC even if its just for a few cocktails in the evening.

MC

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00740.jpg

Barnacle Billys, very, very popular with tourist, great views, a bit more on lobster prices then Footbridge and Lobster shack but still a great experience.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00907.jpg

Jackies too is also in Perkins Cove, on the water like MC, great views, not one of my favorites but again very popular tourist restaurants.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00907.jpg

Just outside of Perkins Cove, one of my very favorite breakfast places is the Cove Cafe, very popular with both locals and tourist, can get very crowded, get there early, its just outside of the Cove you cannot miss it, say Hi to the captain, he is the owner and cook, great food, prices in line with the area.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00910.jpg

In the Cove you can take many different types of boat tours along with sail boat rides, I have done my fair share over the years and most are all decent.

When you Stay at Riverside you will have to walk over a little white bridge, this connects you with Perkins Cove. This is a draw Bridge that allows for the bigger boats to come in and out of the Cove. I took this picture while I was on the sailboat heading out. Bridge is in the back ground.

…photobucket.com/albums/…CopyofDSC00749.jpg

Hope you enjoy, Im on my way up to Ogunquit as soon as I finish this post to you.

Level Contributor
32 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

We visited both places in June for the first time, and we enjoyed both for different reasons. We stayed at a lovely B&B in Kennebunkport, and spent half of our weekend there, and half visiting Ogunquit (about a 15 min drive without traffic, which we didn't really have). Downtown Kennebunkport is beautiful, and is on a river which connects to the ocean. It is the "classier" and quieter option of the two (although it does get busy in the summer, just not AS busy as Ogunquit!) Kennebunk Beach is about a mile from downtown, and Goose Rocks Beach is about 5 miles or so. Both beaches are nice. If traveling without kids, my preference is definitely Kennebunkport - many nice B&B's, upscale restaurants, Old Vines Wine Bar, etc. With kids, you will find there arn't tons of hotel options in Kennebunkport. However, if you are staying for a week with kids, consider renting a house in the Goose Rocks Beach area of Kennebunkport. Lovely beach, quaint, quiet, relaxing, and family oriented community. About a 10 minute drive to downtown Kennebunkport, and 25 minutes to Ogunquit. As for Ogunquit, is it a BUSY place in the summer. Lots of great things to do/see, just BUSY. There are MANY family friendly hotel/restaurant options, most of which will be walking distance to Ogunquit Beach (although more crowded, I do think this beach is slightly nicer than Kennebunkport, LOVE the "lazy" river that floats into the ocean, fun for kids and adults alike!) We also love the Marginal Way walking path - amazing views! And Footbridge Lobster in Perkins Cove is FABULOUS. Just an order at the window lobster shack, but fresh, delicious and inexpensive!! I thoroughly enjoy visiting Ogunquit, but at the end of the day I like to return to the "quieter" Kennebunkport, for a relaxing evening :) It's really all preference, I think Kennebunkport is "nicer" and more peaceful, but Ogunquit has more going on for the younger crowd and families. No matter which town you choose to stay in, be sure to visit the other - both are great destinations!! As for price, expect to spend $225 - $325 and up at most places in either town during the peak summer season - not a cheap trip, but the Maine coast is gorgeous! Rates seem to drop alot in the spring and fall, as well as the crowds.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,451 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

Great Review spec784, glad you had a wonderful time and at least got to visit and experience both Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, your observations were dead on and your right they are two different types of places.

Come back soon

14. Re: Deciding between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:15