We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

It looks like we will be visiting some friends in Mystic, CT for the 4th of July and then will have a week or so to ourselves. I'll be traveling with four children, ages 8-16. I'm thinking about setting up shop somewhere and Ogunquit sounds like a nice combination of beach and village. We like to walk, maybe bike and generally just be outdoors.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Hotels with 6 people don't work so well b/c we end up with two small rooms and I find that B& B's aren't always best for kids. Should I look at rental houses? Are there any cottages or similar nearby?

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

Here is a link to Vacation properties by owner with several in Ogunquit.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a3271

There are also several accommodations in Ogunquit that are condos that could fit your needs. You can find some of these at this website:

http://ogunquit.org/accommodations.php

I am sure others will chime in with more recommendations. You will LOVE Ogunquit!

Good luck with your plans!

Boston
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

A few important factors to help people...

How long you renting for?

What kind of budget do you have for the rental?

Sounds like a hotel/motel will not work for you unless you get two adjoining rooms but that can be expensive and run close to $500 per night depending on where you stay.

Ogunquit does not come cheap during the summer, you will find rentals ranging from $1200 a week on UP, again depending on how many people and where.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

Yes, you are right that a hotel is not a good fit for us. Condos and houses work better and we once stayed in a cottage on a resort-type property with some meals available and some activities (bikes, etc)-that was a good experience. Plans are very much in flux but I think we will have 5-7 nights. Budget for lodging is $3,000-$4,000.

I'm looking for a low-key, family friendly vacation. I would like to be able to walk or bike to some things fairly close by as we get tired of the car. We like to hike and bike and would enjoy some beach time that is different from our usual FLA vacation spots. I want to give the kids a taste of Maine.

Truth is, I sort of picked Ogunquit to of a hat and was mainly drawn to what sounds like a walkable area but I am open to any suggestions. We will be driving from Mystic, CT and will probably fly into Boston so I don't want to be more that about 4-5 hours from there.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

Also, does anyone have a link for an article or some good general info to give me a feel for Ogunquit? I read something about it a couple of years ago and have wanted to go ever since but I can't recall any details-only that it sounded like the perfect place for a family vacation.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

The good news with a budget of 3k for the week your not going to have a problem finding a place to stay, the bad news is that you might be too late booking something for July, if you find something make sure its fairly close to the Village of Oqunquit or Perkins Cove, Ogunquit fills up fast.

The town, beach, shops and restaurants are very walk able as long as you rent something that’s close to the village, Perkins Cove or even something on the Marginal way..

If you google search Ogunquit Maine Im sure you will find enough Info and articles to keep you busy for awhile.

Here are some of my pictures I have taken over the past few years of Ogunquit, the pictures are a mixture of scenery, places to stay, Ogunquit beach, The Marginal Way, and a number of other odds and ends.

Album 1

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Album 2

Album 3

Boston
Level Contributor
24,478 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

Give this place a try and see if they have anything available for July.

Located on Shore road close to all.

http://www.searosesuites.com/

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

We rent a house for a week on vacation. We have 2 families~~a total of 8 people. It is cheaper then renting a motel room andmore room!. You can look on:

www.vrbo.com

www.homeaway.com

www.vacationrentals.com

You can usually breakdown your search by location, rooms, cost, and so on.

I personally have used Homeaway a few times.

Good Luck.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

I don't know if you can really bike around the town as the streets are narrow and sidewalks crowded with people in July.

We always rent a cottage in the Wells area. You can get a 2 bedroom cottage that sleeps 6 for about $1200 a week. In the past we have stayed at Beach Dreams (privately owned cottages with pool, tennis, clubhouse etc) and Water Crest Cottages with pool and games to play.

I found this article that describes the town:

www.southernmainecoast.com/ogunquit.htm

9. Re: Lodging for July vacation for family of 6?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:19