We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

OKC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

I have been looking into rooms for a mid-September trip to Ogunquit. Choices seem to be Beachmere, Anchorage, Sea Chambers and Terrace by the Sea. The prices are all very similar. I was leaning towards the Beachmere, buy Hubby thought it looked further from town & restaurants. Realistically, how long a walk is it? We're mid-40's and in fine physical shape. Oceanfront is definately a requirement for this trip.

Which location or hotel would you choose? By the way, this is a 4 night trip with no children.

Thanks in advance for any input!

H

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

Hi phieaglefan,

I've stayed at both the Anchorage and the Beachmere. You wouldn't go wrong with either place. But my preference is the Beachmere. I just love the people who run it, the ambience, the location, and the variety of room styles offered.

It sits right on the Marginal Way with gorgeous views; has easy access to it's own little beach or a short walk to the larger beach area; and is a VERY short walk to all the restaurants, shops, etc. Once the car is parked, you can forget about it. Won't need it, unless you want to do some antiqueing out of town.

They also offer a continental breakfast, and just this year high speed internet throughout the entire property. In addition, some rooms have microwaves and fridges and almost all rooms have at least a peek at the ocean though most have panoramic ones. This is the sort of Inn that people come back to year after year and it books up early.

Have fun and let us know what you decide :).

cozyharbor

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

P.S. A few additional thoughts re: the Beachmere. There are several sections to it. If you want more of B&B atmosphere make sure to get a room in the main Inn.

If you want more of motel type situation, then check out the separate motel building. These are units that offer microwave and fridges and also separate bedroom. However, they are decorated in a non-hotel/motel way. In other words, they feel more like cottage type units, with small dining tables near the windows with views out to sea, and charming bedspreads, lamps, chairs, etc.

Don't know if you've checked their website, but if you haven't try and do so. It's wonderful and will show pictures of all of their accomodations, grounds, etc. They can be accessed at www.beachmereinn.com

cozyharbor

OKC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

Thanks cozyharbor for all the info. We seem to have narrowed it to the Beachmere and the Anchorage. Anchorage has a direct oceanfront room, Beachmere has a room in the Victorian with a balcony and ocean view. They're both the same price.

We were thinking about Anchorage since it had a cafe/bar on the premises and also a hot tub. The room at the Beachmere would probably be nicer though.

I am so torn - if you have any comparitive insights regarding the two, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again,

H

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

Hi phieaglefan,

I guess if you prefer old style Maine/charm, you'd like the Beachmere better. However, the Anchorage does have a pool, etc and if that's important, then go for it. I'm not a big pool person and prefer old, quaint, and charming in comparison to new and more modern. But that's me. It's all in what your preference is. As I said earlier, you wouldn't go wrong with either place :).

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

cozyharbor

boston
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

As previous posters have said, it really is a personal preference thing. But, I would choose the Anchorage...Pool, hot tubs, great ocean view and really close walk to everything (including the most gorgeous beach). You won't have to drive at all.

Just my 2 cents....you'll love it there!!!

Have a great time!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

Either is nice. In September you should be able to get a good deal at the Sparhawk, too - next door to the Anchorage. We never stayed there but hear that it is the best, and it is on our "to do" list. If you stay at the Anchorage, make sure you ask for water view - you do not want to stay in the Towers, which is across the street.

7. Re: Ogunquit lodging - distances from restaurants & town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations