We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

We'll be driving up to Acadia and Bar Harbor the third week of July -- flying into Manchester, NH.

Our flight gets in at 1:30 p.m and we'd like to get on the road and get as far into Maine as possible -- but would like to get a flavor for some of the seaside towns along the way.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a place to stay -- preferably at least semi-romantic as this is a long-awaited getaway for two adults? We'd only be there 1 night ... and then we'll need another place on the way back, again for 1 night only ...

All I can find are places that have a two- or three-night minimum.

Help?!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

Well this might be further than you want to travel, but I just mapped it out on mapquest and 3.5 from Manchester you can be in Camden, Maine which is only an additional 2 hours from there to Bar Harbor. Anyway, Camden is a beautiful coastal community and if you do make it that far, consider Th Inn at Oceans Edge, here is the url http://www.innatoceansedge.com/ , we onyl live .5 hours from there and my husband and I sent a romantic anniversary getaway there a couple of years ago, and I have to say its one of the most romantic places I have ever stayed, beautiful rooms, jacuzzi tubs in the room, chocolates on the pillow and cool ocean breezes blowing through the curtains. Good Luck with you search, if I come up with any other suggestions I will post them.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

I'd spend one night, coming or going, at the Hilton Garden Inn in the Old Port area of Portland. And I'd eat dinner at Fore Street. Yum!

Where do you end up deciding to stay in Bar Harbor??

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Yes, I'd thought of Camden, but am worried about finding a place that will take us for just one night ... I'll try the Ocean's Edge ... it looks nice but perhaps too pricey for us. (their Web site doesn't have prices ?) I'm amazed at the prices up there during peak season .... $175 is about our limit, and I'd much prefer $125!

Re Portland, I'd thought that might be a good stop for the way down, but I'm amazed at those prices, too. I just looked at the Hilton Garden and it's $249 a night for the July night we're there. Whew ...

I'm wondering about Boothbay Harbor ... am thinking about the Ocean Point there ... looks like ocean views with possible one nights ... though I haven't heard back yet about their availability.

Re our ultimate destination in Bar Harbor, I've booked the Holland Inn. I was charmed by the owner, Tom, and he and wife Evin's Web site. They look like exactly the kind of folks we'd enjoy meeting. And though the room itself doesn't look quite romantic, I'm buyin the idea of one of the posters -- that anyplace will be romantic when I'm with the man I love :-)

Thoughts on a simple place in Boothbay area? Or Camden? Or anyplace midway-ish between Manchester, N.H. and Bar Harbor. Romantic but not pretentious ... that would be us ...

thanks to all who've helped to date -- I have learned SO MUCH from all of you!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

If you're considering Boothbay, then it sounds like you don't mind going off the beaten path.

If so, then let me suggest a much quieter place than Boothbay, easier to get to/less frantic/fewer people and maybe cheaper.

Pemaquid Point is one of the neatest lighthouses there could ever be. The Hotel Pemaquid is right there by the lighthouse, in walking distance--even for me!

You can go there at sunset/moonlight/at sun-up. most likely you'll have the lighthouse to yourself at sunset.

Rates seem very reasonable.

http://www.hotelpemaquid.com/

Eat dinner at Shaw's Wharf, a terrific bioled lobster/fried seafood sort of place, just a few miles away in New Harbor, one of the most photogenic little lobster harbors.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

Pemaquid Point sounds fantastic ... I loved the look on the Web site and hope rooms are available. That's exactly the sort of place we're looking for ... in fact, I'm tempted to stay there two nights and give up a night in Bar Harbor ... but would there be anything to do, besides see the lighthouse? is it too off the beaten path? Should I stick with my 4nights in Bar Harbor and one up and one back -- I've got a total of 6 nights to figure out.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

In my opinion, about the only thing to do on Pemaquid Point after admiring the lighthouse is take a ferry out to Monhegan Island for the day. Yes, it is very far off the beaten path.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

KatyinTN -- This is complelety my opinion and others may differ but for me Pemaquid Point really doesnt offer much outside of the beautiful and picturesque Lighthouse. Yes its off the beaten path, yes its a nice place to visit but again IMO, its a nice place for a picnic. I wouldnt spend two nights there.

Some other 'seaside towns' that I like to visit:

Camden -- Yes its that nice. If you must spend two nights somewhere before Acadia, I recommend here. Some wonderful and romantic B&B's in town. Plus there is much to see in the area like...

Rockport -- While everyone else is in Camden, take the short drive to Camden's sister town. Its beautiful, and much less visited.

Rockland -- Not the most romantic place but I mention it as its outside of Camden and I would imagine you might find a place to stay for just one night. Plus its proximity to all the places on my list make it convenient. Just remember its more of a 'functional' place to spend the night. ;)

Tenants Harbor -- Beautiful, and quaint Harbor off the beaten path. If you wanted a place as nice as Camden but without the crowds and much more slower paced try here. The East Wind Inn is a beautiful B&B. It may be in the upper end of your price range but its comparable for the area. If you wanted to stay in a place and just relax for a day or two, this might be it. Tenants Harbor is on the way to....

Port Clyde -- One of my favorite places. I dont know much about the available lodging here but the Harbor is beautiful. You can catch a boat to Monhegan here for a day trip. Pick up a sandwich at the General Store for a picnic. Be sure and check out the Marshall Point Lighthouse on the way out. Our yearly Maine vacation doesnt 'officially start' until we see Marshall Point and Port Clyde.

Then again, you cant go wrong just spending the whole time in Bar Harbor. There is so much to see and do in Maine.

Enjoy your week.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

I also love Port Clyde. I've lived in Bar Harbor, Maine for ten years now. I once heard that Mainers tend to simply vacation to other points of Maine. That's becoming true for my husband and me. My idea of a perfect vacation, now, is three nights on Monhegan Island, leaving from Port Clyde. It is sooo beautiful and peaceful out there.

Note that you could stay two nights on Pemaquid Point and take the ferry from New Harbor to Monhegan. Port Clyde, New Harbor, and Boothbay Harbor all have regular ferry service to Monhegan. These are not car ferries. There are few cars out on the island. Just fog and artists and the rockbound coast of Maine. Although it's best to stay a night or three out on Monhegan, one can see and do a lot by taking the early morning ferry out and returning in the late afternoon.

3m
USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

This message is to ACADIAFAN or any one why could recommend a plan for a family of 4, that doesn't do much hiking but loves nice quiet towns, breathtaking views (love taking photos), sightseeng and has 9 days to spend in June. Looking forward to your advice.

10. Re: One night in July en route to Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 06:26
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations