We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

http://www.anchoragebythesea.com/

www.thecolonyhotel.com/maine/about.html

I am looking for a place to book a stay with my husband for Memorial Day weekend. We have never been to either of these places or hotels. I am open to others if you would like to recommend. My husband enjoys swimming and is asking for something with an outdoor pool.

I've read reviews for both and they are similar. Can anyone suggest on over the other? We plan to relax and enjoy the area around where we stay, so restaurants and things to do within walking are good.

Also, what kind of weather is one to expect around the end of May?

Thank you!

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
881 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

I am not an expert but a few thoughts. Maine daytime weather in late May could probably run from the mid 50's to the low 80's so that's a hard question to answer. We checked out the Anchorage property last visit but did not stay there. The property is right on the Marginal Way with fantastic views but I believe the room quality/size varies a great deal. Many TA reviews have "room tips" which could help you decide.The room we looked at did not impress us. I am sure the Kennebunkport property has a great location as well. Probably cannot go wrong with either with the understanding that most hotel rooms in the area may not be 4/5 star quality......there are so many great restaurants in both towns you cannot go wrong but reservations might be a good idea the Memorial Day weekend.

This visit we decided to head to Ogunquit the week before Memorial Day. Prices were still low and we selected the Gorges Grant Hotel because the cancellation policy allows us to change our plans 2 days prior to check in.......really don't want to head to the area if the forecast is going to be wet and chilly so this works for us.

There are many experts on this board so hopefully they will help you decide. Enjoy your trip.

Try Joshua's Restaurant in Wells......it is really good.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,519 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

No one can predict what the weather will be like at the end of May so an indoor pool might also be important to you especially when the weather can be iffy.

This is a tuff question since I have NOT stayed at the Colony Hotel and I am biased when it comes to Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. While I do go to Kennebunkport often during the summers I still prefer Ogunquit for that home town feeling and enjoying one of the premier beaches in the Northeast..

1) In the beach department that positively goes to Ogunquit plus your view from the Anchorage is that of the Ocean and not the River and ocean as the Colony states.

2) Restaurants are abundant in both places with Ogunquit having a better mixture of low to high end dinning.

3) Shopping is a toss up with Kennebunk having a few more stores but Ogunquit is close to the Kittery Outlet stores and Ogunquit has the famous Perkins Cove which is a short walk from the village or from the Marginal Way.

4) The Anchorage is ON the Marginal Way.

5) The Anchorage has many different types of rooms.

6) The Anchorage has both Indoor and Outdoor pools.

7/ Ogunquit and Kennebunkport are not that far from one another.

8) Ogunquit has a Playhouse with great shows.

9) I will get hammered for saying this but IMO Kennebunkport has a more country club type of tourist then Ogunquit.

10) Its only fair to mention, since its your first time in Ogunquit they do have a huge gay friendly population that blends in and everyone get along just fine.

I know your probably waiting for me to give you an opinion but I think you already know where I would recommend, so that wouldn't be fair to you, do your homework and make the choice, Im sure you will be happy at either one with Both having pros and cons. And please do come back with a review no matter which one you choose.

Some pictures of the Anchorage and its Views.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00697.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00701.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00700.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00681.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00696.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00695.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00698.jpg

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
881 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

I agree about giving the edge to Ogunquit and visiting Kennebunkport, York and some of the other great neighbors.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

Great points, diceman, Ogunquit is beautiful and special to us too for many of the same reasons.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,519 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

Its strange, the wife and I travel to a few different places during the year besides Ogunquit, such as Las Vegas and NYC, we both know that Ogunquit cannot under any circumstance come close to what the others have to offer us but yet we are more at home, more relaxed and more at peace when we are in Ogunquit. Its hard to describe the reasons why maybe its just because family is with us on most weekends in Ogunquit, and I love having my family with us.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 16:39
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

Thank you all for the responses! I think we are leaning on Ogunquit and may drive to Kennebunkport to have lunch one day.

Diceman: Your pictures are lovely, thank you for sharing, really does the Anchorage justice!

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
404 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

We always stay in Ogunquit, but we never miss driving into Kennebunkport for an afternoon. In Ogunquit you can walk to the beach, Perkins Cove , Marginal Way etc. Kennebunkport further from the beach and, while it's a lovely town, I'd rather stay in Ogunquit.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

Well, just to play devil's advocate, the view from the pool at the Colony is beautiful! It is a gracious property overlooking the ocean just up the road from the first president Bush's summer home.

Diceman: I had to chuckle at your comment about the type of tourist who frequents K'port, as I see Ogunquit as a far more touristy town. It is very pretty, but you will find more locals in the Kennebunks in the summer than you will in Ogunquit.

As to the Anchorage vs. the Colony, I'm sure you will like either. If it matters, you will not have a TV in your Colony room unless things have changed from previous years.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,519 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

" the ocean just up the road from the first president Bush's summer home. "

The Bush Compound

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC01053.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC01050.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC01052.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC01051.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC01049.jpg

" I had to chuckle at your comment about the type of tourist who frequents K'port, "

I was trying to be politically correct LOL, what I really meant was, there seems to be more serious money people in K'port then in Ogunquit.

10. Re: Ogunquit "Anchorage Resort" or Kennebunkport "Colony Hotel"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations