We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Hello,

My husband and I are visiting Maine in July and would like to make a pass through Ogunquit. Hubby tends to be very picky about accommodations. We will be staying at White Barn Inn on our Kennebunk stop and I fear this will set a 'standard' for the rest of the trip. I am looking for suggestions for an inn or hotel in Ogunquit that, does not need to be equivalent to White Barn, but may be more updated or recently renovated. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Meadowmere -- south building -- may fit your parameters.

Ogunquit
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Thanks Mahj! lark1978 - happy to help. Also White Barn has a bit more of B&B feel - if that is important, the Ogunquit Chamber is a great starting point too. July is great for strolling around town - hope you have a wonderful trip!

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Honestly, there really is no such a thing as a "high end" hotel in Ogunquit. You can find numerous nice, clean hotels though. I suppose you could say that The Cliff House is the closest thing to a luxury hotel in Ogunquit, but I would suggest you read the reviews first. A B & B is probably a safer bet.

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

I have to disagree, there are plenty of very nice well kept Places to stay in Ogunquit Maine .Just what to you mean by "HIgh End ".What are you looking for in a Place for your stay ?

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Are you disagreeing with me MEInnkeeper? Let me reiterate --- "You can find numerous nice, clean hotels though..." That's what I wrote.

I have stayed in many high end hotels (Four Seasons, etc.) and although there are many lovely hotels in Ogunquit, I don't believe any of them can be classified as "high end". Especially to someone coming from D.C. Just wanted to make sure that they were aware of the limitations before staying in Ogunquit. If you read my comments again, you will see that I suggested that a B & B experience might be a better fit for them in Ogunquit.

Ogunquit, Maine
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Don't need to get bend out of shape. I ask them what to they want as far as High End .Since I live here full time and know most of all the property and am a Chamber Member I was trying to help THEM not comment on your advise. In fact The Gazebo is very High End and offer a lot for their Guests to name just one . Some place has pool,massage on site , lap pool etc,etc . Just because they are from DC doesn't mean they want what DC has to offer.We just had a Guest from DC and they were just like any other Guest.

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

I wasn't "bent" out of shape MEInnkeeper. I'm surprised that you would comment that way. It seems that you were insulted by what I wrote and that was not my intention. I ADORE Ogunquit. I've never been to The Gazebo, but if someone is expecting a 5 star hotel in Ogunquit I wouldn't want them to be disappointed. My guess is that The Gazebo is probably quite wonderful, but I am sure it is not on par with The Four Seasons. and that's OK. A lap pool and on-site massage does not in itself make a 5 star hotel. It's all about setting expectations. IMO, as an Innkeeper you should know that it's generally perceived as rude and unsophisticated to start out saying something such as "Don't need to get bent out of shape". Have a lovely day!

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Actually from your response to MEeinnkeeper, you did seem to be "bent out of shape". That may not be the way you intended to come off, but I too was surprised by your response. Ogunquit, has many great accommodations. If someone is expecting "5 star quality" they are not normally going to find that in a New England relaxed beach town atmosphere. I don't care if someone is coming from from DC, NYC or Oskosh they should know what to expect in a New England beach town. Maybe one of the mansions in Newport is available.

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

'Ogunquit, has many great accommodations. If someone is expecting "5 star quality" they are not normally going to find that in a New England relaxed beach town atmosphere.'

That was EXACTLY my point AttnySteve. We are in 100% agreement.

I wouldn't presume that someone coming from DC, NYC or Oskosh would know what to expect in a N.E. beach town. That's why I was trying to offer a comparison. Why do you assume that "they should know" if they have never been here?

Merrimack, NH
Level Contributor
61 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Higher end hotels in Ogunquit?

Lark1978 stated that her husband tends to be "very picky". Just trying to set expectations.