We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Hi, I'd like to make a spur of the moment trip to Maine this weekend (Thurs-Sun). I'll be coming from southern NH. However, while I live in New England, I'm from the Midwest so I don't know anything about Maine. As usual, I turn to TA for help! My wife has to work but I'll be taking our two girls (ages 7 & 9). They love the beach and I'm looking for some peace and quiet so I think Old Orchard is out (it looks pretty crazy from my research). Am I on the right track with Ogunquit or does anyone have any other suggestions for a quieter-type beach community? Am I mistaken to rule out Old Orchard? It doesn't have to be deserted but I don't want to be stepping over people like Hampton Beach (NH). There needs to be a few hotels, restaurants, etc. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Ogunquit will be a great choice. You can walk almost anywhere from most hotels, including the center of town where there is activity until late hours, the restaurants and the beach. The beach is 3 miles long. It gets crowded at either end where the parking lots are, but if you just walk another 5 minutes or so, you pretty much have the beach to your self.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Great! Thanks for the details. If anyone has any personal experiences to share, I'll be searching for an Ogunquit hotel with a heated pool...

New Haven...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

So, if I am staying with my family at the Beachmere (3kids 7/5/1 yrs old) is it possible to walk to Ogunquit beach? about how long of a walk is it for the average adult. I tried to figure it out with Google/Bing and it seems to be about 20/25 minutes. Does that sound accurate. I hope to walk with family as much as possible.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Ogunquit means "beautiful place by the sea",, & it truly is! I like walking a lot too, so you'll be able to do that, and still jump in the car to York, for more attractions, if you'd like. Have a great time! :)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

I do like to walk so I will explore. Do you recommend someplace near town center? I'm going over the TA hotel reviews and nothings jumping out at me. I'm sort of dug in with the pool-thing. Thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

The Juniper Hill has two outdoor pools and an indoor pool. It is a 5 minute walk into town and 15-20 minute walk to the beach. The trolly stops right in front and the grounds are meticulous. They have a better then average continental breakfast which is offered in a separate building.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Thank you very much. I'm looking into Juniper Hill now. That seems like the place for me frankly. I appreciate that.

Montreal Canada
Level Contributor
405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

You'll enjoy the Juniper as well as Ogunquit beach. Take the kids to Rose Cove Cafe (very short walk from the Juniper) where they can make their own ice cream sundaes.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Just returned from Ogunquit and it sure is gorgeous. We stayed at the Anchorage by the Sea, they have heated indoor & outdoor pools. Location is great, we walked everywhere. Take the kids to Sweet Peas for some late night ice cream, open till 11pm.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ogunquit, York, or someplace else...

Just returned from Ogunquit and it sure is gorgeous. We stayed at the Anchorage by the Sea, they have heated indoor & outdoor pools. Location is great, we walked everywhere. Take the kids to Sweet Peas for some late night ice cream, open till 11pm.

Get answers to your questions about Ogunquit
Recent Conversations